• In the Spotlight:

dry baby face

My 6 week old's cheeks are extremely dry... seemed to be baby acne until recently, it seems to have turned into red & dry skin.
Anyone know what I can apply to her face to heal this? thank you :)

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 10:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try some vaseline.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Is it just dry or is it itchy too? It could be baby eczema. Vaseline could help for either dryness or eczema but you can also try aquaphor, gentle naturals baby eczema cream, or it it's really bad and seemingly very itchy you can use a hydrocortizone but I'd talk to your doctor about it first.
    sw33t_blond3

Answer by sw33t_blond3 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Maybe they are allergic to Johnson's bath products or other soap you're using. Go to plain water, Dove or Cetaphil. I would put lotion (an unscented, sensitive skin type) on after bath, maybe once during the day and before bed to see if that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would use lanolin or some type of nipple cream. It works wonders and is safe for baby's mouth.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Lanolin is great! Always took care of my DDs chapped cheeks in the winter.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Try Coconut Oil, comes in a tub, and can be found at Health Food or Vitamin stores. Love the stuff, used it on my now 5yo son when he was born, after bath, start at the head, can be used on skin & hair if they have cradle cap, then down the tummy & arms, rub it on the legs, then use on the bottom to prevent diaper rash. Google Coconut oil, it has SO many uses, you can add to bottles go hydrate and soothe from the inside out... I have used on my own face, and NO breakouts! My oldest has excema on legs, and use it for him too. NOT greasy, and oh the smell is great!
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have used lanolin nipple cream and Palmer's Face butter. now that he is a bit older.
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My sister's little girl has eczema as does my oldest son, and we both use California Baby products (they are all natural, non-toxic, and really help to soothe baby eczema as well as regular eczema). Here's the link for the moisturizing cream I would recommend:

http://www.californiababy.com/calming-botanical-moisturizing-cream-2-oz.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The nurse that did my home visit after I had my son recomended aquaphor, and it works great. You can get it in the lotion section at walmart. Its expensive but a little goes a long way and it worked great for my sons dry face.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• thanks!!!!! :)
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 3:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2009