• In the Spotlight:

HELP I think my cat has earmites.

Ok so my cat sometimes lays in the middle of the floor, kinda balls up and start shaking REALLY BAD. Then he starts kicking his ear, and his tail is stiff. Idk if hes having a seizure or he has earmites. I have seem something black come out of his ear once, but Im not sure if he was just dirty from going outside. taking him to the vet just isnt in the budget right now. HELP.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• you can go to walmart and get cheap ear mite stuff...and that is what helped my animals..you can also try a piece of soft cloth and some peroxide..and clean the cats ears out with that...he could have an ear infection so maybe atleast trying to find a really cheap vet to take him to would probably help..i mean if you think he cat could be having a seizure i would take him just to be sure he isnt and also get his ears checked while you are there..as long as you do some shopping around for prices for a check up then u might could budget it in....and u dont always have to get the meds they perscribe you unless the animal is having a seizure or needs anitbiotics..but i would try getting the ear mite stuff i belive its like $5 dollars mabye less than that at wal-mart..and if that doesnt help then try saving up to take him to the vet
    BBKMommy

Answer by BBKMommy at 10:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thanks. I think theres a vet in town where I can make payments if I can afford the entire payment right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I googled this to see what home remedies there are for you, but it sounds as though you'd have to buy some stuff anyway. The mites are hard to get out, and even when you do, the eggs are left behind. Earmites are also contagious to other animals (not humans as far as I could find.) And they can lead to serious infections. The vet could prescribe meds that would take care of the problem fairly easily, so if you can possibly swing the vet expenses it might be best.

Answer by Bmat at 10:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Lift up his ear flap and look inside. Are there black waxy chunks in there? Does it smell? Then he most likely has ear mites. You can buy inexpensive ear mite solution at the store (Walmart etc.) and follow the easy directions to get rid of them. My MIL uses windex to get rid of her dog's ear mites. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:24 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Put baby oil or olive oil on a cotton ball and clean it out then drip a little oil in the ear. It drowns them.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You can add a 1/2 teaspoon of corn oil into each ear...

This will kill the ear mites.....Please see a vet when you get the funds.

BEST wishes...

A good vitamin for your dogs or cats is NuVET see here:

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:55 AM on Mar. 19, 2009