Kids and sports

If your son really showed no interest in sports yet would you place him on a team anyway? You know how parents are these days with kids starting at three years old, playing 2 and 3 sports a year. I would like for my son to try things out to see if he likes them but I don't want to force it on him. Would you want until he shows an interest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have learned from my son (4.5) that he was serious when he said he did not want to do gymnastics at 2 or soccer at 3. He said he did not want to and I told him he would like it once he started playing and he hated every min of both. When he turned 4 he started asking on his own to take Karate classes. I was very hesitant due to past experiences with him in sports and he LOVES it. So with my next child I will not sign her up for anything she does not ask to be signed up for. I will wait for her to show an interest in something and save myself the time money and trouble. I will suggest things to her often though so she will know they are options.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No I wouldn't but I did tell my boys they had to pick a sport of their choice this summer because they aren't just going to lay around the house or just play outside all day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son started his interest by playing things with me adn the family in the yard. He playes baseball everyseason (may play on 2 teams this spring) and absolutely loves it!!
    I always ask him if he wants to try other sports, I think it is important for kids to experience different things and find what they like. He does make mention of maybe trying other things, but then always goes back to baseball... he loves it (and so do I !) I would do activities to try and see if he has an interest, but I don't think I wuold force him into anything, I think that by forcing him, he may not give it a fair chance from teh start.
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 10:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would not give a hoot what other parents are doing. I would suggest it to my child and work it from there. My DD is 4 1/2 and shows no interest in playing sports yet...so I take her to go watch them and if she wants to do it we do it..We do not join a sport because her class mates are doing it we do it because we want to.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am one of those crazy moms whose son started sports at 3! He really wanted to play hockey,spent time everyday from about 18 months playing with his little plastic stick and puck and was even specific that he wanted to be a goalie! I think if the child shows interest then go with it, but if he shows no interest then don't force it. My DS tried baseball for a couple of years, football one year, lacrosse 2 years and liked them all, but hockey was his priority and now is on the ice year round. Depending on how old your son is you could ask him if any friends are playing anything that interests him or get some different sports equipment for home and play with him and see if he develops a deeper interest.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'm going to be one of those moms too :) My son is almost 10 months so I have to wait a bit, but both DH and I are involved in sports. I have played hockey for almost 18 years, including college. DH plays hockey now, but played soccer since he was little and continued playing through college. He also did track & field through college as well. We're very active and want our kids to be active as well. We would LOVE to have him play hockey, our love, and he even has hockey skates he received as a present from my parents ... when he was 2 days old ... at the hospital! LOL.

I always ask DH "What if he doesn't like sports?" ... but judging by his personality as a baby, he is all boy (rough and tough) and will more than likely want to play something physical!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I make my kids pick one thing and stick with it for a period of time. Dont care what it is, but something. Now my 5 yo goes to karate lessons at the comunity center, and drags his feet when we go, but loves it once we are there. My 7yo however is in karate, boyscouts, starting baseball in the spring, and is already wondering if he will be bored this summer. I have to make him slow down. I want them to stay busy with something, but I dont force them what to do.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My children play/participate in a variety of sports and activities. I don't care WHAT structured activity they choose to participate in but they ARE going to regularly participate in at least ONE thing that interests them and they enjoy. My only requirement, that they finish what they start--follow through and honor their commitment to finish the season/lessons.

I am teaching my children to develop well-roundedness, interpersonal skills, respect for themselves and others, responsibility, good sportsmanship, physical skills, discipline, how to win AND lose with class, prioritize, deal with frustration, and set goals. Those traits/skills are acquired through well-developed, structured activities, that will carry over in to their adult lives.

I am a firm believer that structured activities keeps kids out of trouble--at least until they are capable of weighing the pros and cons of potentially life-altering decisions.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009