2 year old wants flowers

My daugher wants to plant flowers or atleast a plant. I have looked everywhere and can not find anything for her. Moms please help. I am trying to show her how to plant :(

MyGodSent

Asked by MyGodSent at 10:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Buy some seeds and plant in some dirt. you can grow tomatoes in a pot or even strawberries , need to put something in there for it to climb on.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 10:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Buy seeds at the grocery (or farm) store. You can buy vegetable or flower seeds. Soon the stores will have spring plants for sale. Many grocery stores have potted plants for sale all year, you could buy her one of those for a couple dollars.
    Back to seeds. Poke a bean (the seed) in a pot with soil in it, water, and the bean will sprout in a couple days. It doesn't amount to much of a plant in the long run, but it will be fun for her, and if you can plant it outside later on it could grow into a producing plant. Read the seed packages and pick little plants for inside starting.

Answer by Bmat at 10:39 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Why not go to Target and get a cute little pot you could paint or leave plain and get some potting soil and some seeds in the garden section. My girls love the Strawberry plants because they can eat the strawberries when they are ready. Hope this helps!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you want to start from seed, take a good look at the back of the seed packet. It should tell you what season to plant in, what part of the country, if it needs shade or sun, how much water to give, and sometimes even how long it will take to see some growth.
    If you get a plant, make sure you also look for this information, so she doesn't think she killed it, when it's actually just too cold for it to thrive or something. Go to any garden dept in Lowe's Walmart or Target.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 11:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Here is a great resource... http://www.kidsgardening.org/family.asp or http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_kids_gardening/article/0,2029,DIY_13851_2269255,00.html Look at these and take the info that suites you best! But they are great and have some really great ideas!
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• U could always get a bean and get a clear plastic cup and a wet paper towel she can watch the seed grow.
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Honestly, I just take my kids to the farmer's co-op with me and DH. They help pick out the stuff for our garden and flower beds. This year we are putting in Sweet 100s Tomatoes, Bell peppers, and maybe some onions. The flowers will be Marigolds (companion plant to tomatoes so they will go in the same planting bed), zinnias, alyssum, maybe some nasturtium. The kids want to get a plant so they are thinking about watermelons or pumpkins. They haven't decided yet. My 10 year old grew a watermelon a few years ago and it was fabulous! He helped me transplant when it got too big for the pot it was in.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 19, 2009