AIG Bonuses: What about the Politicians?

If Senators had not received so much money from AIG for campaign donations. Would they have received a bailout?
EXAMPLE: 66% of AIG's campaign Donations when to the Democratic Party.

Democratic Senator Chris Dodd was AIG’s largest single recipient of campaign donations during the 2008 election cycle with $103,100, according to opensecrets.org.

YET, Dodd is ALSO on of the key responsible lawmakers for retrieving the bonuses?

How can we expect the Government to hold these Corporations Accountable when Politicians have received funds from Corps like AIG?

http://www.opensecrets.org/

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• **went**
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• AIG wasn't the only one to get the bailout, they were all did. The campaign money may make certain senators "look away" when these places are doing some things that are wrong. But the bailout money was available to all banks, not just AIG so their donations had nothing to do with it. With the government being run by mostly democrats right now, they probably won't be held 100% accountable. There are a lot of checks and balances but there are ALWAYS loopholes or people letting things just slip by. It's not right but there will never be any form of political system that is 100% fair to everyone.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Very well said DDry. Let me ask you this: How can we put Dodd in a key role in investigating and retrieving bonuses when he ACCEPTED money in the past from AIG? Isn't that a conflict of Interest?        Do you think if enough people made a stink in Washington about it, we could bring about reform? Maybe find politicians who HAVE NOT received donations from ind. companies who rec bailout $ and put them in charge of oversight? There has to be a way to get more accountability and more oversight. I feel strong;y that if enough people called Washington and made a fuss about things like this, we could bring about REAL CHANGE.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We can't expect government officials to do the right thing, until they're caught with their hand in the cookie jar! And even then, they're primarily just publicly placating the people--saying what the people want to hear, while continuing to make closed door deals.

Like Biden's recent closed door speech/meeting with top union executives...

I'll bet a good many Americans had no idea that corporations such as AIG and organizations such as the National Education Association and the AFL-CIO contribute HEAVILY to their choice of political party (usually Democratic) or certain influential politicians (again, usually Democrats). This is what so many of them "bank" on!

We'll never see any of the bonus money AIG stole from taxpayers, because it was all rolled into Obama's stimulus package.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If we took all of the government official away from things that they received contributions from, we wouldn't have anyone running the government. Most of them receive money from TONS of different things. I agree with you that politicians who have personal interest with the banks shouldn't be in charge of this whole situation. But where do we stop? We would then have to pull everyone out of conflict of interest situations and then it goes back to my original statement. It wouldn't matter if every American called Washington about this, nothing would change. That is of course my personal opinion and I do not have the facts to back it up.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:00 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The bailouts were never a good idea to begin with no matter which president allowed the money to be given. Had the DC crew listened when the people were calling and writing, maybe none of this would be happening now. It is a bit too late for them to stand up there and make demands. I say no more bailouts for any of the big players in this country. Let them fail. Stop spending money we don't have. And, for the record I am also talking about the people that bought houses that they could not afford. They should be held responsible for their actions. How many would like to bet that homeowners will get help, which brings down neighbors value of property, and within a few months they are right back at the trough............
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• DDry,again~very well said. I think you are right in that it would be difficult to find people to "run" the government. But I also think if we don't demand a level of standards, and accountability there will be no change. We are in a vicous circle, but NEED REAL CHANGE. Not this "false" hope.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• **Vicious**
    grlygrlz2

• Forever, what about the people who could afford their homes but lost jobs due to things they couldn't control like their company laying people off? If we all adjust our spending based on a possibility of being jobless, we would all live in a cardboard box. I am not saying this is the problem for all of the homeowners in trouble but a majority didn't do this in purpose. Also, if we let all of these places fail, our country would actually be in an even worse situation. You don't realize just how much these companies mean to our country and our stability.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Oh I fully agree with you grly! It's just incredibly hard to make those standards when there is always going to be someone out there screaming about the injustice and wanting to go deeper. Where do we draw the line? Are there dishonest politicians? Of course. But there are also millions of dishonest Americans. We hold politicians to such a high standard and in reality, they are just human like the rest of us.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2009