How can I break my 3 yr. old son of needing a bottle/sipply cup before bed and during night?

I doesn't help that he sleeps with us at night and also is in the process of potty-training. HELP!!!!

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Unfortunatly there is only one way I know to do this and it's not easy. You basically have to just not give it to him. It's a lot easier to say than to do. He'll whine and cry and throw a fit if he really wants it. But you need to stay firm. It'll be really frustrating and aggrivating at first but eventually he'll be fine with it.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• the way i look at it, when i wake up in the middle of the night i like to have a drink of water. so why shouldnt they. my two and three year old go to bed with a sippy cup of water. some times they drink it sometimes they don't. but atleast they have the option.
    bkristine_00

Answer by bkristine_00 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My sister had this problem with my nieces. Put water or something they don't really care for in it. Try to tackle one thing at a time to much change is hard for a child to deal with. Sippy, potty train then getting them out of your bed is how i would tackle it. Just take one at a time until they are comfortable with there new achievment.
    leovirgo_mom3

Answer by leovirgo_mom3 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• SHYMAMA08 WHY DO YOU FEEL ITS OK TO JUMP ON OTHER MOMS THAT ARE SHARING THERE OWN OPINIONS? NO ONE ELSE HAD A PROBLEM WITH WHAT THE OTHER POSTER SAID ABOUT 3 YEAR OLDS AND BOTTLES. I FEEL THE SAME WAY THAT A 3 YEAR OLD IS TO OLD FOR A BOTTLE. MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT YOUR OWN PROBLEMS AND DEAL WITH THEM AND NOT TAKE YOUR PROBLEMS OUT ON OTHERS. PROUDOHIOMOM DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT SHE SAID. YOUR RIGHT, A 3 YEAR OLD SHOULD NOT BE ON BOTTLES. HERS IS ON A BOTTLE CAUSE SHE DON'T WANT TO ACCEPT THE 3 YEAR OLD IS NO LONGER A BABY AND SHE IS TRYING TO KEEP HER A BABY. FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTER, TRY USING THOSE CUPS THAT HAS THE STRAWS OR A SIPPY CUP. IT IS ALRIGHT TO LET HIM HAVE IT AT NIGHT. GOOD LUCK.
    Anonymous

Anonymous