Anger Management

So my son is 3 and he has anger problems. I been trying to talk to him, and ask him how he feels. I even let him release all his fustration in the room. But he still kicks in screams when I pick him up from school, or if he doesn't get something he throws a fit. The thing I don't lose my cool, and I never get him what he wants when he crys .. So why does he still do it?

brit041

Asked by brit041 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• OMG i just typed this whole thing then lost it, cause it's storming out. Here it goes and i hope it helps. I had this problem when my son was 4, he's 5 now.
    1. Have him count backwards from ten, till he's calmed down.
    2. Have him take 3 BIG deep breaths filling up his lungs with each breath. Do it with him, it will help you too.
    3. Or walk the crazy eight. This is...walking in the form of an eight shape a couple times till calmed down.
    Good luck!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:07 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• First, lemme say i agree with mamaada, but I wanna say that toddlers at this age still have problems with handling anger and frustration, and so they throw fits cus they cant quite express themselves. So with my daughter, who is 2, I just let her have her tantrum, and go on.
    I know its hard to deal with this, and good luck to you.
    babygirlpj2007

Answer by babygirlpj2007 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son is 4 years also sometimes he has his tantrums. But I also Let him cool off on his own and he always comes back and says sorry, Then thats when I tell him what he did wrong.
    Anonymous

• What about just trying to hold him and comfort him when he's carrying on? Say soothing things, say it's okay to be frustrated, make him feel like he's safe and then get him to talk about things calmly, then praise him for being calm and expressing himself with words. Worth a shot, don't you think?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thanks, i think all those things sounds good!
    brit041

Answer by brit041 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009