baby shower... kind of disappointed, help?

So I'm overly grateful for the fact that 2 of my SILs have planned a couple's shower in OKC for DH &I for this coming weekend!

I moved back up to KS, a good 5 hr drive from OKC, in January, having complications &supposed to be on bedrest. SILs knew this in Jan. I encouraged them to go ahead & hold the shower, not planning that I'd have to visit the hospital twice more before it. My OB has put me on procardia to stop the contractions, I'm only 35weeks & he wants to put it off as long as he can.

SILs are doing a couple's shower because I don't know many people from OKC, as I have lived there less than a year, &DH knows LOTS of people there growing up in a church, etc. My family, except 1 gma in OK, lives in KS. My friends are all up here. They put the party on a Sunday night at 6pm, & my invites won't be able to make it.

What's really disappointing is that they didn't send out invites until last Monday... so no one had

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:01 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• any warning or notice...

Not even me. I had no idea when, no idea where, until last Thursday evening when I got home from being in the hospital over night.

So far only 4 invites have RSVP'd, and I'm not sure in my condition if I even want to drive all the way down there, risk having my baby on the side of the road somewhere, 5 hours away from my OB with having complications...

Should I go? Or should I just call the whole thing off since they put it off so long and I'm really struggling to keep this baby in there?

I must say that I'm really, really disappointed, because even my own mom didn't have enough notice to take off work to go...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Sorry. I know sometimes we just don't get the showers we want. You can give hints as to what you want but at the end of the day showers are gifts so just be appreciative and make the best of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor and get the number to a doctor or midwife in OK just in case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If i were you I wouldn't go. Now yes they went through trouble blah blah blah, but your baby is more important than any baby shower, I'm sure your DH can go get the gift and you can send out thank you cards, explain why you couldn't make it. If they can't understand oh well....... GOOD LUCK!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• That is really hard. No you can't do the long trip. Maybe you can plan a welcoming party for baby at your mom's say when baby is 2 mos old that way everyone can meet baby, etc. Baby should be old enough to travel and what not, it is not the same but hopefully will still give you good momories.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:10 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Maybe you can call them and tell your OB said you can not drive and if they would still like to have it then maybe they could schedule it after teh baby is born and they would all have a chance to see the baby. Welcome to the world of children (and in-laws)...its always a change of plans. LOL Just thank them and tell them you are so sorry that you want to come to the shower carrying the baby...not delivering it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Or you could just not go and have them host it with out you or via a web cam.

I've heard of people having showers thrown for them in other states when they couldn't make it so I would just talk to them about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You ladies are great, thanks for your input!

I just have to remember too, if I don't go, it will have been 15 days by the next time I get to see DH... it's hard, and I want to cry!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Do what's best for you, but be happy that someone even thought about throwing you a shower. I'm pregnant with my second and have never had a baby shower and I have tons of family and friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'M WITH REBELO7 DON'T GO LOOK OUT FOR THE HEALTH OF U AND UR CHILD, SEND OUT THANKYOU NOTES AND ANONYMOUS IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GIFTS IT'S ABOUT THE BABY AND HER HEALTH B FOR REAL
    threetimesaroun

Answer by threetimesaroun at 11:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009