Do you let you SO have a say in your child's disipline?

This question is for mother's who are NOT with their babies daddy, but someone else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• it depends on the consistnecy of his appearance in the childs life if he plays an active role and is there for the child good or bad then yes he should be a contributing factor in the childs discipline hes a parent too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would be considered the SO, I married a man with a son, now we have 2 kids together also, but I NEVER got involved in disciplining his child...the ONLY time I would speak up is if he was in immediate danger or if I was the only adult with him, which was rare. I, personally, don't think discipline is the step-parent's job in the slightest, it will only cause major issues. DH and I would discuss house rules, etc. in private, or if I had an issue with something SS was doing I would speak to DH about it and he would handle it with SS.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• After DH and I were together for like 4 or 5 months I started telling him "so deal with it" when he would bring things to my attention. I think that step parents or long term SO's should deal with discipline and all other parts of parenting. After all "parent" is in the title of 'step-parent'
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Oh absolutely! My Hubby isn't my sons biodad but if I took care of all of the discipline then he would walk all over my Hubby... He calls my Hubby Dad and if thats what he thinks of him as then thats the role he will play in his life to the fullest extent... It's a matter of resepct.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely YES!!!! My Man and I live together, I have a son by a different man, and my Man and I just had a baby boy together 5 months ago. My oldest son calls him "dad", and to him that is his father and then that is the role that both accepted and everything else that comes along with that. I support him 100% on the way he is towards our boys, and I think it is a respect thing.Boys know that he wares the pants in the family and I completely support it.
    Sabrina_074

Answer by Sabrina_074 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would be ok with it I think if he was actually involved in our lives more.
    Anonymous