Lactose problems

Lactose intollerance runs in my family, though I don't have an issue with it. My 1 mo. son is very gassy and seems to be in pain. The doctor said it's an immature imune system but gave me a sample of Enfamil for gassy/fussy babies. When that ran out, I bought Similac Sensitive because it has no lactose. He seems better. I'm also breastfeeding. Could he still be bothered by the dairy I eat? Is it better to switch to just formula? Are there any tests I can get to find out for sure if this is even the issue?

magpbright

Asked by magpbright at 11:06 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast feeding is probably better. Just limit your dairy. If its just gas maybe try gas drops. But if the formula is working u could just alternate if that's what u want to do. Good luck!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes he can be bothered by the dairy you eat, and yes there are tests to be done but they require a blood draw, and that is something I don't recommend putting him through until he is a little older (6mo+) for the sake of letting his veins develop and be easier for the Phlebotomist to find.

Breast Feeding is always best, but you will need to keep your dairy intake down to avoid upsetting his tummy, and if you are going to have a high dairy meal then there is nothing wrong with supplementing the next feeding with formula.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Here's a great article on lactose intolerance in infants and young children. My dd was mildly lactose intolerant but she seems to have grown out of it like her doctor said is possible.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_lactose-intolerance_1201464.bc?page=1

As for breastfeeding, I am not sure if that can affect it, I will look further into that!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Breast feeding is much easier on their tummy also. Just watch what u eat. Things that can upset their tummy is too much tomato beans broccoli onions. Just try bfing and see if his gas calms down. His digestive system ia still really weak and young
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Another informative article:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:29 AM on Mar. 18, 2009