Any experience with co-sleeping?

My 1 mo. son insists on being held all the time. The only way he'll sleep is if he's being held. I want to try co-sleeping (have been out of necessity) but am nervous about keeping him safe. Do I just plop him next to me? What about the blankets? I've read about this a lot but no one actually spells out what to do.

magpbright

Asked by magpbright at 11:09 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• use one of those blanket sleepers , make sure the pillows are at a min. and that the baby isnt near the edge of the bed. Do what feels right for you and your son.......good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We co sleep but she is in a sleep positioner next to me. I love it. Just keep pillow and blankets away from her
    Its much easier if u are bfing too. My dd sleeps better too good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:15 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my daughter sleeps in the same bed. its like i am more aware when i am sleeping near her but it will be a pain when you want to be alone. my suggestion, take one side off of his cib and put it up against yours with the mattress at the same height. this way he will be near but you will stiil have your space and you dont have to worry about blankets
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:16 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son co slept with me for the first 4 months. He would sleep on his belly on top of my chest and that seemed like the best position for the both of us. Whenever he got hungry he would wiggle down to my breasts and start sucking. Do what ever is comfortable for the both of you. I used just a small blanket that covered the both of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Here is some good info for you. Hope it helps!
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070600.asp#
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I just had my son in bed with me, I don't remember any "special" things I did. I know that once my son was 2 months old I would have him sleep in his own bed until he woke up (which was about midnight) then he would end up in bed with me. By four months he was sleeping through the night in his own crib :) Now my sis in law still has her two year old in bed with her and her 5 month old.... I couldn't do it.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• they have co sleepers that go up next to your bed and you put baby in it so baby isn't actually in your bed but still right next to you. If you are concerned about it, try that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• As a mom who did co-sleeping with 2 of my 3 children, I do not suggest it, because it is very DIFFICULT to get them out of your bed when they get older. My oldest son was 3 when he finally started sleeping in his own bed, and my daughter is almost 5 and still sneaks into our room every single night. My middle son never would sleep in our bed, he's been sleeping in his own bed since birth. It's not bad to co-sleep by any means, just be prepared to have a 40 lb, 3.5 foot tall 4 year old in your bed with you lol! As for safety, Here is what I recommend:

http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6218&parentCategoryId=85182&categoryId=85210
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:36 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• How baby safe is your mattress? Does it have a deep pillow top (more than four inches)? Is it a waterbed? Is it memory foam or have a deep (more than four inch) memory foam topper? All these things are absolute no no's for co sleeping, especially co sleeping a newborn. Their little faces get pressed into the soft surface and they can suffocate. And in the case of waterbeds, they can also roll off and get trapped between the cushion and the frame. A medium to firm mattress is best.

I pushed our bed to the wall and then pushed the top mattress into contact with the wall. I kept my arm between the baby and the pillows (we use firm pillows but better safe than sorry) and made a island around the baby with no blankets/sheets near him.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• coslepping made me so nervice I put a mattress on floor then they can''t roll out of bed if you wait to long to wean him from cosleeping it might get harder to make him eventually sleep in his own bed maybe every once in awhile let him cry a tiny bit in his own bed not long just 5min. then he might eventually think ok this isn't to bad and you get alittle break one of mine loved his mobile even though yours is to old for that but a special toy in his bed or snuggley let him be in bed when he is playing awake so that place is still ok to him then when you feel ready let him sleep or start to sleep in there he will get it !!! he will probaly like his own space eventually
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2009