How do I get my 5 yr old to blow his nose??

He refuses to try, his nose is full and it sounds awful...
Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You just keep doing it tell he starts doing him self. (sooner or later he will hate your hands on his face)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I know this sounds silly, but it worked for us! Get your child to blow thru a straw from his nose. We could not get the concept to click with ours! Then one day I was just thinking how in the world can I get her to understand air thru her nose and not her mouth. So I asked her to close her mouth and blow thru the straw with her mouth. I held a paper towel in front (like a bull running for the red cloth) and she thought it was so great to make air come out of her nose and "blow" the paper towel. Next time I asked her to blow in a kleenex when she was stuffy....TA-DA! It worked! Best of luck. Hope this helps you out!
    mommaof3_tx

Answer by mommaof3_tx at 11:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• OP here......Yeah I just told him I'm going to get the bulb syringe out and suck his nose out and he ran for the bathroom to get tissue,lol I guess I should have thought of that before I posted the question,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't really know how to teach him to blow, but once you do get him to blow teach him not to do it too hard. Blowing too hard can casue the mucus to go back into the sinus cavity and cause an infection. I just thought I would share it's interesting info. that I just learned about myself.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 5:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2009