Bulimic Cat?

Ok, so I know it's not something to laugh about, but seriously... Could my cat be bulimic?
She is now 13 yrs old. And since she was a kitten, she will eat, then puke all over the house,,,, and you must know that when a cat pukes.... they also run,,, at least mine does. The vet has had us try different types of cat food, we've used a small bowl, a large bowl, a bowl with a large rock in it. Given her small amounts, (which she WILL NOT eat, I think she thinks she is never going to get more so she rations it.... seriously, she will NOT eat the last 20 bits of food in her dish) Given her large amounts. Don't know what to do with her, It is SOO gross. Oh, we also use hair ball stuff, and although she is long haired, the vomit is just FOOD, whole undigested food balls. She is also lactose intolerant. Even a mere speck of egg will cause her to projectile vomit. Same for milk, icecream dribble etc. The Vet and I are at a loss?

frasermom23

Asked by frasermom23 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Is she going to the bathroom regularly? Ask the vet how often she should be eliminating her bowels. If she isn't going frequently enough, she could have problems with her colon/digestive system causing her to get backed up and start chronically puking. Also, a lot of cats can't stand to go to the bathroom in a litterbox that is dirty. They'll hold their excrement in just so they have to stand in the litter box as infrequently as possible. Maybe she's overly-picky about how clean her litter is and is holding her poo in? That will also cause a back-up and cause chronic vomitting.

Other than that, I don't know. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Maybe try a food designed for kittens, generally easier to digest and packed with the vitamins your senior needs. Also, if she is on hairball treatment, she will throw up, that's the point of it. Well, the point I believe is to break it down, but if her stomach can't handle it, she won't be able to hold it down.

And most house cats will not eat the last 20 bits of food in their bowl. That's just their nature. I'm not neglecting either that she may have another underlying health issue, bloodworms? I'd get a second vet's opinion.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• OMG, we have the same cat!!! Really, my cat is 14 and he just started going through this too. First of all, he has been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid which is common in older cats. He's medicated for that, then he started throwing up everytime he ate his dry cat food and was losing a lot of weight. I was pretty scared, but thought that I would try out some different foods on him before dragging him back to the vet. Never in my life have I fed my cat canned food, but he loves it and it is the only thing that he doesn't throw up. He is almost back to his normal weight and bugs the crap out of me at the exact same time every morning and every night for his canned food. If he eats anything else, even a scrap from the floor, he pukes.
    So just experiment with some different foods and see if there is something that she will eat without getting sick. Good luck! I think it's an old cat thing....
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009