what do you do when you're out shopping using a shopping cart and your child falls asleep?

I like to shop at Target, Walmart, IKEA and take my time. When my daughter was between the ages of 1-4 she would eventually fall asleep while I shopped. It was a bother when I felt like I still had at least another hour or so to shop.
Would you hold your child's head up while they sit in the cart or would you lay them in the back of the cart? The worst would be to have to leave and not finish your shopping. Please let me know your solution. Thanx

thenewmanhouse

Asked by thenewmanhouse at 11:20 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Shopping

• I have let my daughter sleep in the big part of the cart. I usually give her my coat or something to lay on and count i a blessings to shop in peace! I cant imagine her sleeping in the front part of the cart I would have to move her...I would even let her sleep on something in the cart if I had to...like a shirt I am buying.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I let my son rest his head on my chest. It is a bit difficult, but I manage. Luckily he hasn't fallen asleep too many times. When I tried to move him to the large part of the cart, he would wake up.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Poor baby, how long do you usually shop? maybe if you already shoped for an hour you could call it a day and try agian tomorrow.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you know they are tired, bring along a small blanket and lay it in the back of the cart so they can sleep... I wouldn't trust the cart to have them lay their little heads on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My 16 month old has done this a couple of times but he loves to carry a blanket so I always have one with he just stays seated and lays his head down on his blanket. He usually falls asleep right before we are ready to check out
    deedees77

Answer by deedees77 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I usually take a small blanket with me and if one of them falls asleep I put them in the basket!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a big enough purse that when she falls asleep in the front part of the cart, she can just lean on it like a pillow. Then I thank my stars that shes sleeping and shop in peace. I don't ever put her in the big part of the cart cuz then I can't shop...... I'd have no where to put my purchases. Plus she would wake up if I tried.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 5:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would lay her in the big part. Just make sure she doesn't 'eat' the cart. My hubby came across an article a while back where some people tested the handles of shopping carts and found all sorts of germs on them, including but not limited to: e.coli, salmonella, and fecal matter.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 7:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my daughter does that all the time and my husband will just carry her ....if im shopping with just my 2 daughters i always bring the stroller so i will have my older daughter push the stroller and my daughter loves that so everyones happy
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I used to put my coat in the basket and lay my son on the coat and let him sleep.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009