When do you plan to go to the hospital? What do you plan on wearing in labor/to give birth?

I don't want to go to the hospital until I have to. I'm not planning to use an medical intervention or drugs of any kind in my delivery and I don't want to be at the hospital very long before having my baby.

Everyone says something different. I'm about 10 minutes from the hospital. What do you think? When are you going?

What do you plan on wearing? I don't want to wear the hospital gown but I can't find a flowy short dress that I would be comfortable with. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• im going when i am contracting evey 20 mins cause we live over an hour away from the hospital
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I went once I was contracting every 2 minutes. By the time I was checked ina such, I was 7 cm. I wore the hospital gown because I didn't want to mess up anything I owned. If you don't like that idea then try a nightgown. Trust me, you won't care what you are wearing once you are in active labor. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I waited a long time before I went in with my son, adn was still in labor for what seemed like forever!!!
    I wore the hospital gown, didn't bother me to wear it at all...
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 11:26 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Lets see - my water broke at 8:30 pm, contractions were 5 minutes apart at midnight and we went to the hospital around 1 am. I didn't have the baby until 1:06pm the next day. Frankly - I don't even remember what I wore. I think I just took a night gown...it'll really be the last thing on your mind when the time comes. Mine was 3 weeks early so we hadn't even packed our hospital bag yet...I had started gathering things but wasn't anywhere near finished. So, we packed our bag while I was in labor. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you are asking because you are wanting something comfortable, I would still suggest a gown.. it gives the Dr's plenty of space, so to speak, to get the stuff done they need to. I wouldn't suggest anything you bought, because seriously, that puppy will have to be thrown away after it's useage anyway. I am assuming this is your first birth, due to your expectations. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• With my first I went when I was having contractions every 4.5 min and we lived like 15 min away. I did wear a hospital gown b/c of the blood and mess. After delivery and a shower I wore a nursing gown my sisters bought me from Burlington coat factory. This time I live 25 min from the hospital and since my labor was only 3.5 hrs with my last one I might go sooner. If this is your first you may have longer labor. With my first labor was 21 hrs, second was a still birth so that was something else, with number 3 I was induced and it was only 3.5 hrs. I'm scared of how fast this one will come. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'm just really uncomfortable in a hospital gown and I don't care if what I wear gets messed up.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I have out there expectations. I just want a normal labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Then try buying a cheap big nightdown or large t-shirt. You'll have to throw it away afterwards or really scrub it with the blood and body fluids all over it. When the time comes you won't really care what you are wearing.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 11:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• WIth my first son we ran to the hospital as soon as my water broke. It was a miserable labor that ended up going horribly against what I had envisioned. With my second I didn't go to the hospital until about 2 1/2 hours after my water had broken, and the contractions were kicking up. I got there, got checked in, and changed into my labor outfit; a tank top and elastic waisted skirt. I walked the hall in that(and my pink fuzzy slippers lol) while the labor tub filled. Then I changed into my bathing suit top...which is what I ended up birthing in. From getting to the hospital to holding him in my arms was 2 hours and 20 minutes...with no intervention of any kind.
    JenB1983

Answer by JenB1983 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 18, 2009