so i take care of two children in my home, and one mom wants her child to take his naps at different times than the other child, (who has a very regular/good schedule), so that HER child will sleep in for her in the mornings so she can sleep in.

uggh. i have a structured schedule here that works very well for both children. why should i mess it up - and have them sleeping differently - then they'd have to play alone...? and one would wake the other, etc. Am I being too difficult??? it just seems like she shouldnt ask me to do that. i worked really hard to get a schedule for the two of them that worked... i'm bothered by this. what would you do? the entire day/schedule would change! just so her child will sleep in later - my gosh he sleeps until 7:00am - I think thats good.... ????? uggh. frustrated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly changing the nap time isn't going to help the child sleep in later. Now changing the time the child actually goes to bed for the evening might, but not a nap time. I would be frustrated as well. The sucky thing about this for you though is tech she is your employer....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No your aren't being unrealistic at all. Tell her sorry that this is what works and this is your schedule and it works for her kid too, either that or she could pay you an extra $200 a week for complicating your day more. She needs to grow up sounds like, didnt anyone ever tell her you dont get to sleep in after you have kids!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:33 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Tell her that you have a schedule that works well for both kids during the day and that while you understand her WANT to sleep in her child NEEDS to nap when he is ready at that is at ...time.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If it doesnt work for you then tell her so she can find a new sitter who will go by the schedule she has for her child.

Answer by gemgem at 11:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think that you are out of line............
    She hired you to take care of her kid.....she should beable to tell you what time the naps should be.
    If it was at a daycare center then I would feel different.
    If I hired you, I would tell you things like what my kid can eat, can not eat....etc..
    She is paying you to do a job if you don't like it...then don't take care of her kid.
    If you had children of your own and one need to sleep different times you would do it, why
    should it be different if she asks this of you.
    I was a nanny for 8 years.,.....I did what the parents asked of me not what I wanted to do.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:44 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I watch kids from home too... there is a reason I have a set schedule.. it is to benefit all children.. explain to mom that you have the schedule you do to ensure all children have the chance to rest.. if one is up while the other sleeps there can be noise, causing one child to not get nap.. if she needs someone to follow her schedule it is probably best she hires a nanny that comes to her house. Dont change your schedule if it works.. this will only make you frustrated and unhappy with your job.. no fun for anyone. Give her a copy of your schedule and let her work out something in her routine to make her mornings easier.. let her know while you sympathise with her, it is not feasible for you to adjust your entire routine for her benefit. Good luck! God bless!

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's YOUR home, but SHE is the child's mother. You both have valid points, but mother trumps babysitter every time! If it isn't comfortable for you to accomodate her schedule for her child, tell her nicely that she needs to find a sitter who can/will, but it's not going to work for you.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. If a compromise can't be made then she may need to find a situation more suitable to her own needs. Plus as another poster said it won't matter the child still most likely will not sleep in as she puts it. My son is up at 7:30 every morning on the dot even if we have plans and he does not get to bed until hours after his bed time. It only makes him cranky the next day not sleep longer.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you both decide to honor her naptime wishes, then that will be what you must do. If you refuse, then she must decide if she still wants to hire you. If you need her money and can't find someone else to take her place, then if she insists that it is her way or she's out of there, then you must do it her way, since you will have agreed to this. Do you need her money or not? If you feel strongly about the schedules, then tell her this is the schedule and if she says no it must be her way, then let her find someone else.

Answer by Bmat at 1:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i would tell her to find a new sitter if she doesnt like your scheulde. shes just lazy and doesnt want to get up. my kids wake up at 7 am on the dot every morning.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 1:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009