Baby having nightmares?

My 2 1/2 month old daughter screams bloody murder sometimes in her sleep. Lately its been taking 5-10 minutes to console her. Its progressively gotten worse as she has gotten older. Does anyone else's LO do this? What have you done to help their fears? I've read that seperation anxiety, reflux (which she has), the birth process and loud noises can cause nightmares. Her room is dark, quiet and a little cooler than the rest of the house. Hubby and I dont fight in front of her, i do think she has seperation anxiety a little. I just dont know what to do. It breaks my heart listening to her cry for so long. Any suggestions?

hilwiesemann

Asked by hilwiesemann at 11:34 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to think that my daughter had night mares too, but when i looked it up to do some research on it, they say that babies do not have dreams this early, all they know is boobs and bottles! LOL she is probably starterling herself some how, whether it is her hand falls and hits herself, or she jerks and it scares her. kind of like when a baby is laying there and all of a sudden their arms jerk out and pull back in. just hold her to help her out!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think it's unlikely she is having nightmares. It's most likely pain related to her relux or maybe some gas pain. I would talk to her pediatrician about her reflux and see if things improve.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• There is also a condition called night terrors, and it can be pressent from birth. You say it has gotten worse, I'd mention this to the doctor. It is probably nothing and will pass but it doesn't hurt to check.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It is call night terrors, What ever you do..DO NOT WAKE her, she will become scared of you waking her, and that will make her jump. Let her cry it out. She  is fine. The earlier the child has them the better, they will go away a lot soon, then if she was to get older and have them. (My dd had them too, Doctor said, its their way of adjustment to being out in this new place. They will go away/stop.There is a small chance they will go and come back, when she gets older. But its not likely.

Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009