What do you do when your child is sitting in a shopping cart and falls asleep when you still have more shopping to do?

My 1-4yr. old always falls asleep in the shopping cart when I'm taking my time and shopping at Target, IKEA or Walmart. What do you do when that happens? Do you put them in the back of the cart? Do you keep them sitting and hold their head up? Do you sadly go home? Please give me your input. Thanx

thenewmanhouse

Asked by thenewmanhouse at 11:35 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just so you know, your question appears on the front page of the Answers section, no matter what category you put it in :) So that means I have seen your post three times now :)
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:40 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• he did this once. i wasn't ready to leave. normally i would. i was grocery shopping. he was about 2. i supported his head with my arm, got a heck of a cramp in my back from it. then decided to let him lean on my purse. i had too much stuff in the back of the cart to put him there. I suggest- Get a big soft purse and take it with as a pillow. my son usually falls asleep on my way to somewhere and gets crabby when he wakes up and we go in. that's always been my trouble.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• lol bubbysmom.. if my daughter falls asleep in the cart i just lt her lean on my purse too.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 12:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thankfully (hey they come in handy sometimes!) my boobs are large enough (and I am short enough!) that I just let him lean on my chest when that has happened! Diaper bag, purse, coat all have been used and sometimes at the same time! He's already asleep, why would you leave? Just means that you are going to have a quiet shopping trip! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would have mine lean on something or put them in the back of the cart.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• That used to happen all the time when my kids were toddlers. When they were 1 we would lay them in the back with a pillow from the linens dept. (if we were at like Walmart or Target). Otherwise they stay in the seat and we prop their head with jackets if we have them or a pillow we find in the store.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• MamaRoberts : )
    Boobs! LOL. Who knew we were equipped with such multi functional parts?
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have borrowed a pillow from Wal-Mart. Of course I covered it with her blanket and let her lay her head on it. We put the pillow back once we were done.

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 3:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am one of "those" moms with Buggy Bagg shopping cart cover.  It's well padded and comes with a pillow.  My son has never fallen asleep in a shopping cart, but sometimes he likes to rest his head on the pillow.  If he did fall asleep, I would cover him up, make him as comfortable as possible, and take my time through the store.  My son is a light sleeper and will wake up if moved, so I wouldn't leave the store.  I would spend the hour he usually sleeps and do some careful shopping for once.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009