I'm lost on how to get it all clean

Ladies I have just gotten over being sick for two weeks along with my kids and my house is a disaster. Laundry is piled up along with comforters and towels.the couch needs to b cleaned thouroghly(mispelled)EVERYTHING IS A MESS and I just don't know where to start.I know its spring time so I might as well just hit the whole house at once .My question for you ladies is what are the top ten things that are must do today type of things?And how do you get the kids to help?Thanks a millon.

ps. anyone have any special tips to clean the carpet ( I have a shampooer but need a tough solution for it at good price)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Get the main things done then make a list of the big things you need to do and do them one or two a day until its caught up.
    My daily stuff is vacuuming, taking out the trash, dishes, sweeping/mopping, and laundry.

Answer by gemgem at 11:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Some people may bash, but I bribe my kids. Not big stuff, simple stuff. Like we will rent a movie tonight, get icecream when the icecream an drives by kind of thngs. And then I turn on the music and say hey canyou pick up all the toy, lets see who can do it fastest. Then all the dishes, and trash...they like to compete and do things faster that way too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:47 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Start washing the clothes..You can do other things between laundery loads.

Answer by louise2 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Being sanitary has to come first, so clean the bathrooms and the kitchen first. If you can get them done today then it's good. You can get a start on laundry while you are doing these. Tomorrow more laundry and the living room or family room, so that rooms you spend a lot of time in are inviting and comfortable. Then your bedroom. I say yours before the children's, because they should be doing cleanup in their own rooms, and if they don't, then it is their problem at this point and not yours. After the other rooms are clean, then you can help with the children's rooms. If you start feeling too tired about any of this, stop immediately. You've been sick and should not overdo. You can divide the day's work into two days if you like.

Answer by Bmat at 11:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Just start with the laundry... inbetween those loads maybe straighten up one room at a time.. now I only have 1 child and he is 8 and when it's time to pick up he is to pick HIS things up and put them away, but alot of times he will actually want to help clean house...
     Bribing with small things could be a good thing, depending on their ages, older children should know to keep their things up or it should disappear if mom has to... hint, hint...
    But don't over due it either if you just got well from being sick, the house will get cleaned soon enough...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Here is what I do when it is time to clean the house:

First, don't look at it as a huge thing to be done, it can be overwhelming.
    Start with one load of laundry. Tell your kids that if they want clean clothes to wear, then they need to bring you their laundry. You are not their maid (and keep it that way from now on) After that is put in, start with some dishes. Go back and forth between dishes and throwing in loads of laundry until the dishes/kitchen is done.
    Move on to the living room. Start with the coffee table. While you are doing that, have your kids remove their things (school books, toys, ect) from the living room. Continue doing laundry throughout this process.

Continue on throughout the house, one room at a time, continuously doing laundry throughout the day. If, at the end of the day, you have a clean kitchen to cook dinner in, and clean clothes to wear tomorrow, then you did good :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I always start with the laundry, get it all the loads sorted and ready to go. While the washers on start getting the dishes clean. If your kids are old enough have them help. BlueLady turned my on to pandora.com. You just put in a song you like and it will make a streaming play list of similar songs. Great for cleaning.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Dont get overwhelmed... like the ladies said start with laundry... this allows you to clean kitchen/ bathrooms while between folding. Have the kids do what is age appropriate... hand them a dust rag, broom, whatever helps.. little ones are great for trash patrol. As for your carpet.. it sounds weird but laundry soap (liquid) works great..only problem is after you clean the carpet you do need to go back over it once with only water just to get up all the residue..but it is great at getting stains out! we have very light carpet and this is the one thing I found great for getting out juice, grass, mud, and other funky stuff. since you are getting over illness if weather permits try airing out the house..at Sams they carry a great product called odoban.. this is great for disinfecting the bathroom (keep out of kids reach) and even works in the laundry for your sheets and pillows to sanitize them. Glad you are better!
    Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 2:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Solugard for disinfecting is the best - kills 99.99% of everything and is safe and harmless for you, the kids, and the enviroment! Add a capful to your rinse water when you do your carpet. Don't forget to disinfect your doorknobs, refrigerator handles, phone, and other "touchables".
    Solumel for pre-spotting your carpet- will take out ink, wine, etc.
    As far as getting the kids involved, instant, immediate rewards work best. Don't put off rewarding them, make sure what ever you offer can be given as soon as they have finished their tasks.
    want2knowHim

Answer by want2knowHim at 3:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thanks ladies
    Anonymous