Tough time with neighbors

OK moms, I am new to asking questions here so bear with me...first, I live in a half of a duplex. Our other half is an old couple who's older son lives with them as well. We have never had an issue before. But, just before christmas we adopted a new puppy. So just the other day they both came knocking at my door and told me that the puppy (who's name is Holly) has been barking non stop everytime I leave the house. Now, mind you that I am a stay at home mom. If I leave the house it's for 20 -30 min at a time. Anyway, it kind of felt like they were bullying me. I checked with our township about the noise ordanince and it's no loud noise from 10pm-7am. And I don't usually leave the house till after 9am. Only on one occasion did I leave at 7 and it's cause I had to work. I guess what I'm getting at is since I know I'm not doing anything wrong. So why do I feel so guilty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• If you aren't breaking any noise ordnance laws, then I wouldn't worry about it.  It doesn't sound like you are leaving your pup home for very long periods of time, so I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing.  I'm sure your pup barking is annoying to your neighbors, but they need to learn to get over it.  You may try leaving the radio on when you are gone, this may help prevent your pup from barking.  This worked with my dogs when I lived in an apartment.  For some reason, my dogs wouldn't bark when I was gone as long as the radio was left on.
    You could also try giving your pup a large rawhide (or similar type chew toy) and only give your pup this toy when you leave him/her home alone.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• They sent you on a guilt trip and you let them. Tell them the ordinances and that youre sorry if the dog is making noises when youre gone but you arent gone long and that you arent going to allow the dog inside just to appease them.

Answer by gemgem at 11:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Because were women we all feel guilty..some just more than others. I tend to heap it on since I always feel like I want to please others. Is the dog in a crate? if not then I would recommend getting a crate and putting the dog in it at night and when your away. Move the crate away from the shared walls. That is really about all I can think of that you can do. The dog will eventually learn to love the crate and will stop barking when your gone. Make sure the crate isn't to big for tthe dog and that it isn't by a window where it can see people going by. I also leave my tv on for the dog when we leave.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• because you let them make you feel that way. if you aren't doing anything wrong, don't worry about it. and if you want to try and keep the pup quiet, get a kong and put peanut butter inside of it to keep the pooch busy while you're away for those short trips. your neighbors are being ridiculous.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Tell them sorry, she is a puppy and will outgrow it. Dont feel bad, and dont apologize everytime you have to leave. But do try to leave thepuppy with something to do when ytou leave, like a toy or something, cause if she barks it is only a matter of time till she starts chewing on your stuff and peeing everywhere when you leave. Good luck, try to ignore them.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with Ria7 and gemgem. They sent you on a guilt trip, but to avoid them doing that again or causing any more anguish, crate the puppy. Get one just big enough that the dog will be able to lay inside when fully grown. This will eventually become puppy's favorite place, and will be more like her bed. The barking is a result of the separation and boredom. Crating will alleviate this.

Try it, let us know how it goes!

GL!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Thanks so much to all who responded to my question about my puppy and the neighbor. We do keep her in a crate, but I did like the idea of leaving the tv or radio on for her when we leave. You guys really added the sun back ito my day!
    Robinsbirds

Answer by Robinsbirds at 3:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• When you live so close to neighbors, you have to expect you'll hear noise....

If they don't want to deal with noise, tell them to move, lol. You are entitled to own a dog.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i would call and make sure that there are no loop holes around that ordinance..i too thought that as long as it was befor 10 pm they coudnt do anything till i had cops at my door(for another issue non pet related) at 6pm saying that if they can hear it 25 feet away from their door step they can call the cops and report you....bottom line, be careful
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• They make a plug-in, kind of like an air freshener, that is supposed to be calming for pets, you could try putting that in the room that your puppy is crated in. Also, I used a calming treat to help my dog with the separation anxiety...both can be found at petsmart or petco. Good luck!
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 11:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009