crup...anyone know how to get rid of it or help with sore throat?

I had my 1 yr old at the doctors monday and they said that she had the crup or how ever you spell it..they gave her 2 breathing treatments and some med that was suppose to help her voice because she is really horse right now..but still today she is really fussy the meds I dont think helped..she is still coughing really bad with alot of mucus stuck in there and sore throat and horse ...should I see about getting her into the doctors again and tell them the meds didnt work still or what should I do?

TalindasMommy

Asked by TalindasMommy at 11:49 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

• Turn on your shower and shut the door. The humidity will help her clear out that throat. Also, if it is chilly out side, put a jacket on her and have her be outside for a while. Both of those help alot. My son had croupe twice, and it was horrible for us. It is a viral infection that just has to run its course :(
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• take her into a steamy bathroom for a few mintues every hour - also try keeping a humidifier running in whatever room she is in - if she was older I would say try aa teaspoon of honey weh she is coughing but babies that young shouldn't have it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• There are a couple different things you can do.
    First you can try taking her into the bathroom with it really steamy, let her breathe in some of that steam, and do it 2-3 times a day. It will help loosen some of that crap in her lungs and make it easier to cough up.
    You can also get a humidifier if you don't already have one. This will help make the air not so dry and be more soothing on her throat.
    You can give some tylenol to help relieve the pain of the sore throat.
    You can give a Popsicle for the cold to help sooth her throat, or frozen yogurt, or anything of that nature.
    While sleeping (for naps or bedtime) have her propped up. Even putting a folded pillow under her mattress will help her breathe better at night.

And lastly you can do what you were thinking and call the doctor and ask for suggestions on what you can do. These medicines are not miracle cures, and often times you will have to wait it out.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We just got over this last week!! It's called Croup.

With my son, the barking sound would only be at night and during the day it was a wet mucousy cough. I didn't give any cough meds as this virus just needs to "run its course".

At night, when it seemed worst, I gave hi nebulizer treatments and I ran the humidifier. I even let the hot water run and steam up the bathroom and sat in there holding my son while he slept. The cough seemed to ease up a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ohhh. Yes! I also gave tylenol for his 100.1 fever but he didn't complain of any pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Croup often sounds much worse than it really is. Give her Motrion for inflamation in the throat (vocal chord area)...that's why they sound barky. Also, do the steamy shower thing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009