have u heard that swinging yourself on a swing set will start your labor process?

a friend of mine who is the same age, told me that as soon as her doctor told her she was starting to dilate (a week before her due date) she had heard that swinging would help u start your labor. so she wanted to try it. she pumped her legs and swung for about 15 minutes. she said she could feel the baby settling down and there was a lot of pressure when she got off the swing, but she felt fine. the next morning when her alarm went of for work she woke up and her water broke, about 10 hours later she had her baby!

im curious if anyone else has tried this or has an opinion on it.

personally i think ill wait til he is ready to come out on his own. FYI.

piercedmomma412

Asked by piercedmomma412 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah, i wouldn't try this. it just doesn't sound safe to the baby at all.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't think swinging is unsafe..... your baby is definately protected in there but I don't know that it would help with labor or not.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hi - I am 38 weeks today and laughed at your question (in a good way!) I say that because it sounds like a great idea!! I have a 2 year old who demands to be taken outside every morning and afternoon to play on the swingset, and he is always saying, "Mommy - swing!!" So I sit down next to him and swing. I have never heard that it could put you into labor. I don't feel that it is necessarily dangerous, but what do I know? I think as long as you are careful and don't overdo it, it might not be a bad idea, but I would run it by your OB just to be on the safe side.
    jakesmom2233

Answer by jakesmom2233 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• that tickled me when I read that. Its soo cute. I was on swings when I was pregnant. It never put me into labor. I tell ya what did though. Hearing my husbends voice while he was in Iraq. He had a week left and I had 2 weeks left. I had to tell him to quit calling me and just let me know when he was home. He came home, had the baby 4 days later.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009