For Christians: is there anything that many other Christians believe that you dont' necessarily agree with?

I belong to a Christian military wives group, and I have been Christian all my life. I brought a friend with me who is Christian but isn't really living as a Christian. I brought her with me hoping to have her feel comfortable enough to trust the church (she knows there are many hypocrites in church in general from her personal experiences). She opened up to one of the ladies and told her that since her husband had gone to Iraq, he had questioned the existence of God because of all the atrocities he had seen there. The woman told her flat out that her husband was going to Hell because he didn't believe in God. That basically if her husband died tomorrow, he would go to Hell no ifs ands or buts. My friend left with a very bad feeling about church in general, and she was horribly upset. I don't agree that just because you lose your way you are going to go to hell. Is there something that others believe that you do not?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 11:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would tell your friends that lots of believers have times of doubt. it is all through the Bible...even the disciples had doubts and they hung oout with Jesus. It is very normal. It was not really that ladys place to tell her who is going to heaven...pretty sure its not her decision.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I dont believe you have to forgive and forget. I know God wants us as christians to forgive and I do that but I dont think he means for us to forget what happened and open ourselves up to the possibility of being used and abused by someone who may have taken advantage or otherwise hurt us to the point they needed forgiveness. God gave us a brain and I think he meant for us to use it.

Answer by gemgem at 11:55 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I cannot stand the fact that Christians are told not to judge but usually they are the most judgemental of all. Your friend felt that first hand. I went to church my whole life up until my early 20's. I stopped going for this reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2009

• God is the only one that can forgive anf totally forget. I don't think he askes us to forget, just to forgive. I don't think it's in the Bible we have to forget, just forgive.

OP- what that lady said was mean and spiteful. She was being disobedient to God moreso than the husband who was questioning. She knew what was the right thing to do ((love your friend and gently guide her) and she chose not to do what she knew was right- which the Bible ytells us is a sin in James.

There are a lot of areas of debate in the Christian world. Post-trib Vs Pre-trib (vs mid-trib, vs ' the trib is occuring now and a few more)

the views on predestination.

Speaking in Tongues and other gifts

My husband a & I were just talking yesterday about a few things our pastor believes that we do not. But it's not the 'important to salvation' things.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• your poor friend! thats the last thing she needed to hear. she has enough to worry about w/ her DH in Iraq.

the Christian religion i grew up in doesn't believe in the Rapture. i believe Jesus will come back someday, just not like the Rapture describes it. my childhood church also teaches that speaking in tongues is blashpemous. im not 100% on that b/c i dont think its all that important to debate about.

i also question some of the books written by Paul. some of them are kinda...off from what Jesus taught. but i still read them & get great things from them. i just think sometimes Christians put Paul's writings over Jesus' teachings.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• That woman that told your friend that does not understand Grace....geesh fear is not one of God's thing to get people to believe in Him... Love and Grace is.

The bible specifically mentions if someone hurts one of HIS precious ones ... repercussions are not pretty!
    Love needs to be shown period! That is what Jesus did!

There are a lot of things I can point out that I do not agree with but I perfer to stick with what we do agree on and that is Jesus Christ was born of a virgin birth. He walked this earth and did die on the cross so we could have a relationship with Him and enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i belive that when my family goes to heaven we will still be a family and many people belive we will not be one that we will be brother and sisters not husband and wife
    Anonymous

• Even though some things may be true it may not be expedient to say it at that time. Christians need to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost on what to say and what not to say. Timing is everything.
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• So basically, bandgeek521, you are just not a Christian. Is that what you are trying to say? I only say this because a "Christian" believes that Jesus is the Son of God, and that any who do not believe in Him and follow His teachings will not enter Heaven - therefore will be in Hell. This is what the Bible teaches.
    liz1974

Answer by liz1974 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2009