Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Perhaps its my own fault....

Last night my mum and i were looking through my benefit entitlement. It turns out im not eligable for any kind of income support what so ever for when my baby is born. I lost my job in November 08 right before i found out i was pregnant. We were counting on my partners payslip and benefit support from the government. But it turns out they only give money to single mums. Or unemployed couples. We feel like we're being screwed to the wall. My mum isnt helping by making me get scared about money. I can't find a job now cos no one will hire me pregnant. Even though its illegal they still do it cos they can see the bump. And i want to be a SAHM but i can;t do that if we arnt earning anything. I don't know what to do? I'm in tears constantly because of this....what can i do? (UK Benefits = US Welfare)

Answer Question

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Can you go back to school? I'm not too sure, but maybe you could get assistance if you tried to enroll in a program, like beauty school or something.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • oh wow. I'm sorry for you, it must be very scary. I thought the UK has universal health care coverage?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • We do have universal healthcare. That isn't the issue. Its being able to live. Pay for food and take care of our baby. I know it costs to give birth in the US but not here. That isn't a factor....for which i am very grateful.

    Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • Are you married? If not ,,lie about your relationship with your SO.Say your not together. So you can get the benefits.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • Thats a real risk to take over here.

    Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • I agree that you shouldn't lie about the relationship. If the UK is anything like Australia they will make you pay the money back.

    I know money is tight but have you considered working for yourself at home? That way you could be a stay at home mum and help support with the finances.

    I grew up in Australia and am living in the US now.  I am with a company callerd Arbonne International.  They are fairly new in the UK so there is great potential for growth.  If you would like to know more visit

    I am in the process of building a team in Australia so that I can spend more time there visiting family and friends.

    Let me know if you have any questions.



    Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.