Not talking @ 2, normal??

My son is almost two years old and all he can say is hi. He doesn't say mama or dada (with meaning), doesn't let me know if he's hungry or needs changed, he rambles on with gibberish but nothing close to understandable. He doesn't even have a name on me, his mom. My husband will ask him where's mama, and he always points somewhere else. Or he'll ask, where's Shell (my name) and the same response. I don't get it. Is this normal? I try to pay close attention to see if I can make out anything in his gibberish, but I can't. What can I do to get him to say some words or know who I am?

shellrequen

Asked by shellrequen at 12:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What has your pediatrician said? My kids talked late, but the pediatrician said that as long as it was clear they understood what we were saying, not to worry. I think you should make an appointment with his pediatrician and talk to him about this. He could have a hearing problem that you are unaware of.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the first poster. Talk to your ped!
    Anonymous

• my middle son was like that.

talkng late it OK if the child seems to be communicating and understading what is said.

Talking late and not even doing any communtication ( communicating needs and feelings and responding to others) can be indicative os autism spectrum disorders or something similar.
    My middle son was moderately autisic until he was 7. But he wouldn't have even pointed in anny directions when asked 'where's mom'

Since your son is answering, just not the right answer, I'd have his hearing checked
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My daughter talked late too...my brother used to constantly ask what was wrong with her because his friend's niece was talking up a storm and saying the cutest stuff at only 15 months old. He actually would accuse my daughter of being retarded...well, she ended up being the most brilliant kid in her preschool. She began to read at 3 years old and read at a 4th grade level by the time she was 5. (And now I can't get her to stop talking - she's 19...haha)

She just needed to be around other kids more often, I think.

There is a 3 year old in my son's daycare who speaks, but you cannot understand a word she is saying........I AM concerned about her....

Ask your doc!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son is almost 2 and a half he just really started calling me Mom! He is a bit behind with his speech but he now proves that he can understand. I think we as parents have some sort of competition going on and when we hear of other children talking before the age of our child we automactically think something is wrong.

I just kept working on labeling everything with a word, and my son is slowly picking up on the terms.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If I was you I would get him avaluated by the state. They will know if he needs any kind of help and it is free until he is 3. Don't be scared it is out there to help parents.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My friends son is developmentally delayed and did not say his first words until he was over two and in Comprehensive therapy. He is doing great and his therapist thinks he will catch up and be fine. As everyone else said talk to your Ped. the sooner you jump on these kinds of things the better the outcome.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my middle nephew was 3 before he started talking and thats because the doc said that he was tounge tied...so they snipped his tounge and like 2-3 months later he was talking.
    TalindasMommy

Answer by TalindasMommy at 1:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have twin girls, and we have the same issues. They are finally starting to talk now that they have turned three. States offer programs like early intervention. You should find the one for your state and contact them they can evaluate, and provide help such as speech therapy if your son qualifies.
    lightsnow

Answer by lightsnow at 1:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think it would be worth giving Early Intervention a call. If you can't find the number, contact the special education department in your local school district. They'll be able to direct you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2009