At what age did you child start kindergarten?

My is 4 and has a late birthday (Sept. 29) but will start kindergarten this fall, I am very nervous because she is soo young. Anyone else had a child that started kindergarten at 4?

Asked by sharonsmart at 8:30 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It all depends on when your child turns 5. My son was 5 when he started kindegarten because his birthday is in February. So he turned 6 durring that school year and was one of the oldest kids in his class. But if you think about it, every child who has their 5th birthday before December 31st will be 4 when they start Kindegarten. It feels really young but she won't be alone in that sense.

Also if you want there are ways you can get her ready. Make up little "lessons" to do at home between now and then. I did this with my son and he loved it! I basically went to the bookstore and bought a book on teaching preschool kids. It had lots of great lessons to do and we had a blast. If you want to know more about that you can pm me. :)

Answer by amethystrse at 8:42 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My daughter is 4 and will start school this year too. I'm not too worried about it though as I started school at 4 years old too.

Answer by RileysMomma at 9:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Both of my kids were 5 when they started Kindergarten. One has a summer b-day, so he was 5 the whole school year. The other turned 6 during the school year (April). If I knew now what I didn't no then, I would have waited and never has sent my kids to Kindergarten.... Where I live state law said a kid does NOT need to attend school until they are 7 and they can start in 1st grade (they do NOT need to go to Kindergarten), but then again I've also have turned into one of those "crazy" homeschooler. This fall will be our first year of homeschooling....

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It depends on the maturity of your child and whether they have been in a preschool or head start. Mine started when she turned 5 in July and then school in August. She did fine, but by 1st grade she was slipping and we had to have her repeat 1st grade. You can request for your child to wait one more year but by age 6 they must be in kindergarten!

Answer by seakla at 3:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My oldest was born in Dec so she started a year late. As a result my middle dd started K one year after my oldest did.

Answer by SensualScents at 11:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• If you're worried you always have the choice to keep her home an extra year. Google your state's compulsory age, or if you can't find it let me know and I can look it up for you :)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• My son attended K-garten last year at age 4. His b-day is 9/17. He was a young 5. Although very bright, and his teacher wanted him to advance to 1st grade, I decided w/ much pain and worry, to have him repeat k this year b/c he was so young. Intelligence is nothing whne your child comes home crying b/c he can't do what the other kids do, or he isn't as fast on the play ground, or everyone teases him b/c he's so young/small/not as coordinated yet, etc. It took me awhile to come to terms w/ this decision, but I asked him, "Do you want to be the oldest kids in school or the youngest?" What do you think he said? Think far ahead. He'll always be younger, girls are already more mature anyway, can't drive yet when his other friends can, can't date, can't play some sports...b/c they have to be 8 and he'll only be 7. I'm glad we are doing this.

Answer by shortcut at 1:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My daughter was 4 when she started Kindergarten and would not turn 5 until Nov.4.she is now in second grade and doing GREAT.Remember if your child is having issues and the teacher see's this I'm sure they would discuss the issue with you and after all if your child needs to repeat Kindergarten it is not that big of a deal in a few years they won't remember anyways.

Answer by penepooh at 3:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• all 3 of my boys started at 5yrs old.

Answer by 6lilprinces at 12:14 AM on Aug. 22, 2009