blood testing?

when you get all that blood taken for your pregnancy what are they testing for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They test for a lot of things, like STDs they test for genetic mutations and also do a alpha somethin protein test at like 26 weeks. then they'll do a glucose test to make sure you don't have gestational diabetes.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you signed a consent for HIV/AIDS, there will be that, usually blood type, as well as HCG levels. If you mentioned anything that you were concerned about to your doctor, you could be tested for just about anything under the sun. For example, I've had several miscarriages the reason always being a blood clot that passed to the fetus so when I had "the usual" blood work done, I also had a tube done to test for clotting factors.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• STD's, blood type, RH factor, hemoglobin levels, hCG levels, thryoid levels, alpha-fetoprotein levels for certain birth defects if you said you wanted those tests, glucose levels at 26-28 weeks, fetal fibronectin presence later in your pregnancy if you're at risk for preterm labor. And probably more that I can't think of.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• they will give you a paper that says what they are testing for and you can turn down any of them if you want i got tested for everything but STD's becuz i have only been with my husband, its good to get tested for everything thought just as a just in case...i found out im RH- and the shot they give you for that hurts like hell
    Anonymous

• At the hospital that I work at, this is what is included in our Prenatal Panel:
    CBC - complete Blood Count
    RPR - Syphilis
    Antibody Screen - to include Rh Factor
    Hepatits B

The following are often included depending on the doctor:
    Hepatits C
    HIV (In California you no longer need a signed consent to test for HIV)

By 16 weeks you will have your AFP - AlphaFetoProtein
    Between 24-26 weeks you will have your GTT - Glucose Tolerance Test

Unless there are other things of concern, such as anemia, those are the routine blood tests done for pregnancy. If you plan on doing a tub birth, you will have your HIV and Hepatitis B and C tested again to confirm the negative result.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2009