one mroe question...how should I handle this....

My 8 yo dd decided to shave her legs last night...should she be punished for this...I know she is way to young and I also know I did it when I was younger...jsut need some advice.

suhweet1

Asked by suhweet1 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell her it's not okay to do it again to whatever appropriate age you think. (That's what I did with my daughter)

We all regret doing stuff like that, but we all do it! My daughter wishes she had never started shaving...now she has to do it every day..
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Leave her alone...most likely she will get tired of the amount of upkeep and abandon it until she's older.

(But if this was something you forbade her to do, she needs to be punished. It's up to you what is an appropriate punishment for disobeying this.)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't think so, kids do silly stuff all the time. If you don't want her shaving yet keep the razors where she cant get to them and tell her she is too young. The hair might be very dark and obvious to her and she could be self- conscious of it. Talk to her and find out what is going on.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Use this as a time to talk to her about why she wanted to do it and why she didn't just come to you and ask. If you already told her no and she disobeyed, then yes, I think its punishable but if she just did it out of curiosity, then I would use it as a time to go ahead and prelude into the body changes talk, ect.....I think the appeal will fade over time. If you don't want her doing it, then let it grow. She will likely get the message by the irritation of it. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't think punishment is in order. Just talk to her and explain why it isn't okay at 8 (whatever your reasons are).
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No need to punish her... she is experimenting... if you want to set an age for her explain that to her that "ok you tried it this time, but I would rather you not until this age...' 

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Is she allowed to get into the razors? If not...then that should have been disciplined.
    Anonymous

• I would discipline for getting the razor, if she's not allowed, but not the shaving itself. I would also make clear that the punishment was for getting the razor, which under certain circumstances, including shaving, can be very dangerous. I would point out to her that she didn't know what she was doing, and could have cut herself very badly. But the shaving itself, I wouldn't punish for, b/c eventually you will show her how and she'll do it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't think she needs to be punished. I would just explain to her that razors are very dangers and explain why she shouldn't do it until later, and when she does get old enough she won't wantto then.LOL. My youngest thought it would be fun to shave her eyebrows. I explained why this was wrong and that if it evey happened again she would be punished. It hasn't happened again. You could also put the razors up where she couldn't find them.
    jamicofer

Answer by jamicofer at 3:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009