How did you teach your toddler his/her colors?

My DD is 27months. She can sing her ABC's, count to 10, is fully potty trained and talks my ear off all day but she doesn't know any of her colors yet. We've been going over them for a while now but it still isn't sinking in. So how did you teach your child his or her colors?

Kam06

Asked by Kam06 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I tell my son to pick up something or go get something I always tell him the color. I sometimes make sure most of the things are the same color. In one day I dont say for example, get the yellow book and the red shoe, or the green cup and the purple block. Ill say pick up that red shoe under the table and a few minutes later ill ask do you see that red book over in the corner, so on and so on.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The same way we taught letter and number recognition (did that before working on the order in which they go)...through play and labeling.

It's not a ball, it's a blue ball. The block is red, the triangle is yellow.

"Where did your green cup go?" "Shall we place the green block on top?"

That kind of stuff. Just be consistent in labeling things. They pick it up before you know it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Go shopping point to items and say the color and then have them repeat the color. That's what worked for my 2 year old.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Anytime my kids are holding something that has an obvious color ( like one or two), I would say "Oh, your holding a red block" Or "Can you bring me the Blue cup"
    I also did flashcards, and that REALLY seemed to help. I made them myself.
    KGeist86

Answer by KGeist86 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hello! I'm trying the same thing. This is what I'm trying. I have a color chart that I made myself with markers. I put the name of the color under each one with a picture of something that might be that color.
    Under red I put an apple, under green I put a tree and grass and so on and so forth.
    I then tell my daughter all of those colors and have her point them out to me.
    Sometimes she gets it and sometimes she does not.
    The key is at this age is really hard to get them to even sit still long enough to learn.
    Just be patient and eventually he/she will know.
    Another thing is the good night show with "Star and Nina" is a VERY cute show that every day is a different color that they teach. It starts at 7:00 PM and ends at 9:00 PM. It also teaches kids sign language, Spanish words, how to brush your teeth, animals, and every day they do a different craft. It's a cool show that I even enjoy watching.
    beccasmomabcd

Answer by beccasmomabcd at 2:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• colors are hard because they are abstract. You need to work with the same item, just different colors. red block, blue block etc. kids can have a hard tiem with the red shoe blue fish ideas b/c they concentract on the object they know.
    Anonymous

• Color books and when we clean up I pick up something green and say ok lets pick up all the green toys, then I have colored buckets and they used to have to put all the green toys in the green buckets, all the red toys in the red buckets, etc. I also went to Walmart and bought a wash cloth in every color of the rainbow and sewed the edges together to make a little book and then let them play with it and if I happened to catch them I would say "oh what color is that you are holding?" They would tell me and if it wasn't right I would make sure to say "that is yellow" and then show them the color they said. That way they can see the difference and not just hear you say it. Also start addressing everything in colors... brown table, red stop sign, green leaves, blue shirt. Start giving her choices of shirts, do you want to wear the pink shirt or the purple shirt that way she will also start making decisions while learning colors. :)
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hello MNMom247365!
    That really is a good idea! I must try that.
    Holly
    beccasmomabcd

Answer by beccasmomabcd at 3:09 PM on Mar. 19, 2009