military family moving to yokosuka japan?

I'm so lost about moving overseas. Any advise from military wifes or people that have moved overseas will help. I know that we can take our car but it wouldnt be a good idea since it will be to big for the roads. When would the military move our stuff? How long will it take to get their? What do i do if im still on a waiting list for housing? any advise about moving will help alot thanks

Jessi101088

Asked by Jessi101088 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Travel

• Your best bet is to go talk with the Family Resource center, or get in touch with your key wives volunteers. They will definetely know where to direct you to get answers. Once your spouse gets orders he should be given all the necessary paperwork to go through TMO for your move. They have a class where you learn all you need to know about a miltiary move. Seeing that depending on your husbands rank will tell you how much pounds you are alloted to take and if you are able to take your household furniture. Last I heard SNCO's and up can take household furniture, NCO's and below no furniture only essential items. Shipment arrival depends on time of year (summer, and fall are very busy, takes FOREVER). Advice for moving. Take pictures of all your items to be shipped, note any damages, etc. Your spouse should have sponsor there at the new duty station to help ya'll with housing, childcare, etc.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My husband and I were dual military (USMC) never stationed overseas, but knew alot of people who were. Some said it wasnt too bad as far as moving...others hated it. Be prepared for lots of shots! Your spouse should have all the information you are asking about. If he doesnt know he needs to ask one of his higer ups who has been OCONUS. Thats what his NCO's/ SNCO's are for! What base are ya'll stationed at now? Look up your base website....google the base it will be the base name first (ex: lejuene.usmc.mil). Then look for MCCS..and look for relocation assistance program. They should be able to help you. I hope this helps!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Japan is beautiful and exciting. It is also expensive and scary at times. When your husband gets the hard copy of his PCS orders he should be given a packet that includes all the things you will need to know from cars, to express shipments to shots needed, overseas screening etc. If he doesn't get one he needs to ask immediately for one. Unlike a CONUS(continental US) move an OUTUS or OCONUS(out of continental US) takes a lot more time to get things done. Shipments can take 3-4 months, more at certain times of the year. Buy a english to Japanese translation book. Learn a few words and phrases before you get there. The locals respect that you even try to speak their language. Try to keep in mind it is a new adventure for you, a grand opportunity and it is a different country...culture shock will dim quickly with a willing attitude to see the positives. It is easy to go and find negatives anywhere.. Avoid doing that if you can
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Sorry this is so long. In three years we probably took 2000 pictures of MT. Fuji..it seemed to look different each day, each season. It is esp. beautiful when there is snow on Fuji and the sunset is pink..it looks a bit unreal. Visit temples, take the train...I think it sounds like I want to go back...lol. My husband retired after 30 yrs in the Navy in 2002. Any other ?? let me know.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• thanks everyone for your information i will keep it all in mind
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• we moved to Germany when my kids were 15 months and 4 years old. Go with an open mind. Yes the move will be extremely stressful I won't lie. But the experience of getting to live a whole new culture and lifestyle will be priceless. We lived overseas for 6 years and would not miss another chance to go back. Though we went east coast to Germany we got our car in 4 weeks and our furniture in less time but I think we were one of the last familes to fill the boat. However on the bad side they lost my unaccompanied baggage moving there (which contained all my baby stuff) and actually had my household goods about 2 months before they seemed to locate it. But all in all I would love the change to go again.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2009