owwwwwwwwww

my 6 month ds has recently started grabbing my boob hard enough to leave marks when he's nursing, or sometimes he'll pop off and grab my nipple. I'll hold his hand but then he still has his other hand roaming, grabbing any flesh it can find. Anyone know how to deal with this/ teach him not to?

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard that when a baby does this, it's time to put them on the bottle.

I have also been told that you sternly say, "No" and kinda discipline them...but that seems harsh for an infant (to me).

I have never breast fed :( but as hard as it was for me to try it and as difficult as mothers talk about it - I really give you a ton of credit!!!!! I don't know how women did it before formula was invented!!!!!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My dd does the same thing. Same age. I just stop her and say no. Don't know what else to do. I think its just a phase and they get overly excited. It doesn't mean u should stop bfing. Just try a quieter place and try to keep him calm. Its kinda funny but does hurt. Good luck:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• is it possible to substitute a blanket so baby can grab that instead?
    Anonymous

• Give him something else to hold in his hand. Try wearing a nursing necklace or putting a toy in his hand or just holding his hand. Absolutely NO REASON to wean!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I was going to suggest a nursing necklace also, google it. It is NOT a reason to wean.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would not wean for that reason! When mine started to bite or pinch would pull her off grab her hand if it was a pinching offense and tell her no in a very firm voice. then I would allow her to continue eating. Each time she did that I would do it again. she eventually learned that when she hurt me it interrupted her meal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2009