• In the Spotlight:

Ovarian cyst

Ok, so I went to the er on thursday and they said that I had an ovarian cyst. It was very painful and then after a couple of hours it was just uncomfortable. I will be seeing my obgyn in a week for my followup. This being said I have been reading up on ovarian cyst so I no what I am dealing with and it is kinda freaking me out. It seems that every website I go on is directly related to cancer. Has anyone out there had any experience with cysts? I just need a little piece of mind. Thank you.

tessntylersmom

Asked by tessntylersmom at 1:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

• I have polcystic ovaries syndrome...that just means I have lots of cysts on both ovaries. I have had it since I was 16. It can cause hormonal balance problems resulting in excess hair growth..like your chin, lip or back, skin tags, difficulty with periods, difficulty concieving. Painful cramping, excessive length and /or flow to your period. You could have some, all or none of theses symptoms. I am now almost 50. I have not and do not have cancer(other than skin from sun exposure), My Dr's have never said a thing to me about it. The worst thing that happened is my right ovary had some cysts that began to hemmorhage andf I lost the ovary because of it. Try and relax until they give you someting to worry about. LOTS of women have them and don't even know it. Some women develope them each month and they resolve themselves.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I get cysts on my ovaries all the time. It comes with the territory of having endometriosis. I've never had a cancer scare though. They always watch them and give me something for the pain if it gets too bad. Normally they disappear on their own. They can be really painful though. I found that heating up a rice sock in the microwave and laying down on the couch with it helped alleviate some of the pain.
    Anonymous

• Going on birth control can help them from appearing.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009