How to potty train kids with SID?

Hi I am looking for help or any information. I have twin dd's they are three years old. Both have Sensory Integration Disorder, and speech delays. I really would love to have them potty trained. They will be 4 in October, and the girls scream if I put anything other than diapers on them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son with SID and Dyspraxia was potty traines at almost 3.5 yrs old. With all of my boys (all have autism spectrum issues) we had to do the 'naked bottom approach' for potty training

all in all, you have to wait until they decide they are ready. you can't really dorce a kid with SID to anything they have not yet decided they arre ready to do. But you can do prep work. like having them goo around barebottom- it'll help them realize the feelilngs and sensations. (I suggest in the backyardif it's enclosed or fenced)

having a potty chair -not something that goes onto the adult toilet. just having in the restroom for them to see and try out when they want.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• will you buy your kids phones when they get biger
    Anonymous

• anon said: will you buy your kids phones when they get biger

are you asking me or the OP?

this is the only thing I don't like about ANON. when the OP is an ANON, not knowing is an ANON response is the OP or someone else.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree 100% with the PP about the naked below the waist method for your twins.  It sounds like trying underwear or training pants would be very upsetting to them.  If you have a non-carpeted area in your home or a fenced back yard when the weather is warm enough, that would be ideal.  Otherwise, I put down towels.  Help them realize what is happening and talk to them about it when they go.  This will help them recognize the sensation.  Keep potty chairs close by and just talk to the girls about what they're for and if they can handle it, put them on the potty as soon as they start peeing.  That's how my DS got it, and he was non-verbal when trained, but does not have SID.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am all for the naked approach plus since they are girls and summer is coming little sun dresses sans diaper will work nicely.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:42 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• =) Thank you I will try, and let you know how it goes.
    lightsnow

Answer by lightsnow at 1:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2009