Does anyone have any experience drinking Chamomile tea or fennel tea to help a colicky baby?

I was told that there's a chance that drinking a lot of chamomile and fennel teas can help a colicky baby, has anyone heard or tried this?

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the best recipe for this is equal parts of chamomile, catnip , and fennel.Use 1 heaping teaspoon per cup of boilling water. Let it steep for 3-5 minutes,remove the leaves(strain them out).add ice cubes to cool it down to be comfortable enough to test on your wrist. pour tea into bottle until it fills it half full add water to fill the rest of the way. DONT SWEETEN as sugar, honey , artificial sweetners can be hard to digest for baby.It can be very calmin and soothing for baby. just be sure that you dont give it to baby to often and make sure you use organic herbs. It may work and may not every baby is different. It is a lot safer than giving over the counter drugs and woth a shot.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 2:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my DS suffered from Colics since he was born til 8 mos. What really worked for us was to use DR. Brown bottles, they're a little expensive but totally worth it and I also bought chamomile tea in bags at the supermarket, I prepared the tea every morning and store it in a pitcher in the fridge, every time I prepared his formula I used the tea insted of water, the same to dilute the juice.
    ali98

Answer by ali98 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Are you asking what's safe for the baby to take? Or for you to drink for the baby, if you are nursing.

You can give the baby gripe water, depending on age. It contains fennel. In Germany there is a fennel tea for older infants, that we used and loved. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am also wondering if you are talking about drinking it and passing to your baby in your breastmilk? I have good things about the homeopathic remedy, chamomilla. Haven't tried it but I have had great results with other homeopathic remedies and they are very safe, so worth a try.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I used to drink a Nursing Tea with those ingredients in it when I was nursing and yes, it helped. Then I discovered Kolik Gripe Water which is just Oil of Fennel and Sodium bicarbonate and that stuff was AMAZING! It really helped soothe the upset stomachs and the gas and it was given directly to baby with no side effects. If you can find some, it is soooo worth it!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009