What's personal space?

When I'm at the store waiting for my turn to check out I usually stand 3 feet or more from the person in front of me. And 5 feet or more when the person in front of me is at the register.
Don't you hate when someone invades your personal space? Am I getting too paranoid?

LolaMateos

Asked by LolaMateos at 2:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What I hate worse is when my items are on the checkout belt and before the cashier even has a chance to begin ringing my items so the belt moves the rest of the items forward, the customer behind me will push my items forward so they can begin placing their items on the belt.
    That ticks me off the deep end!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No, I HATE it when people stand too close to me. HATE it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• nope! I am the same way! Ihate when people get all up on me...usually I have my daughter and/or son and I don't want strangers that close to them...but I usually say something to get them to back off...
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Personal space to me is when you stretch out your arms,,and you turn around in a circle..That's how far a person should be away from me normally.That's my personal space.

Answer by louise2 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Someone ought to start a personal space campaign
    LolaMateos

Answer by LolaMateos at 2:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• At the grocery store I am careful not to push my cart close to the person checking out, even if I could push it closer I don't. I feel that they should have plenty of space and not feel crowded. I remember at the airport one time waiting in line to board the plane, a lady was leaning against me, I gave her a look and she didn't get the message. She wasn't ill, just pushy, and she seemed to think that leaning on me would somehow get me to move closer to the person in front, which wasn't happening, I was only a reasonable distance away anyway, and anyway, where did she think we were going if we all stood touching one another- we were waiting in line!

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes, what louise said. I can't stand when people invade my personal space. My 6yo daughter is horrible about that. She has absolutely no concept of personal space. She is on top of people all the time (me, other family members, her friends). It is so annoying and creeps me out. There have been so many times I have stepped on her because she stands just inches away from me and I can't see her. Or when we sit on the couch together she sits right on top of me which wouldn't be so bad but she can't sit still. She is always jumping on, hugging or getting right into her friends' faces and it turns them off. She had one friend push her away and just flat out tell her if she did that again she was going home. My dd was heartbroken. She didn't understand what she did wrong.
    I'm constantly telling her to back off and to not being in people's faces, but she just doesn't get it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I was at the grocery store the other day ...loading my stuff onto the belt and this lady behinds me starts putting her stuff up there. I was no where near done and had to put things on top of each other. I mean HELLOOOOO we are going in order here and I was next, not you!!!
    Anonymous

• Personal space is close enough to smell the person. Some get a bigger range than others!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009