Quail recipes...

I found some quail on sale and I have never cooked or ate it any suggestions

suhweet1

Asked by suhweet1 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I have never bought wild game, only hunted it myself. If it were wild I would suggest that you soak it in milk for 24 hours. It helps get the wild taste out. Since you are buying it I would assume it is farm raised and there is no need to do that.

It depends on how you want it...do you want it with a sauce, do you want it more like bbq, do you want to fry it? What kind of taste are you looking for?
    A good one (and really simple) that I use for duck breast is I mince an onion and a clove of garlic, put it in a ziploc and mix in various spices (usually just some salt and pepper) once that is all mixed up pretty well I COVER the breasts with the mixture, cover with tinfoil, and bake. Baste occasionally with some butter or margarine (usually not needed with wild game cause they are pretty oily as it is) I haven't tried it with quail though.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• They aren't very large birds, so I suggest cooking them like you would a cornish game hen (whole) or in halves.

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/wild-game-recipes/quail-recipes.asp

I googled it, and that site has some quail recipes you might try if mine sounds too plain for you. (I like to taste the flavor of the meat, not just the spices that I cover it with)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The quail you bought are farm raised.
    http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search_string=quail
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I saw Alton Brown make quail before.. he butterflied it, seasoned it, and put it in a panini press.. smushed it down.. it came out all crispy and evenly cooked.. yum.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009