is this too extreme?

i've been trying to lose weight for a while, but nothing has worked. i decided to try eating less, a lot less. i'd say on average i don't usually eat more than 600 or 700 calories a day. i've mostly been eating fruit, the yoplait 100 calorie yogurt the 90 calorie special k bars and sometimes grilled chicken. and drinking only water. it was hard being hungry at first, but im used to eating less now. i've only been doing this for 3 weeks and i've lost 13 pounds. my question is, do you think eating only 700 calories could be bad for me? cause i'm really happy with the results i'm seeing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It probably depends on how much actual nutrition you are getting in the 700 calories you are taking in. Are you getting enough of essential vitamins and minerals? Starving yourself can be bad on your body, it can mess up your metabolism and cause heart damage in the long run. Are you doing something else with your weight loss like exercising? Typically any diet like this, once you go off of it, you will gain the weight back. Congrats on your weight loss, but be really careful.

Anonymous

• If you look at the other shadows on the faces of the children ,light is actually coming from that side of the photo. Looks like its probably the sun to me...or a glare off of something. But the left side of everyone in the pic has sun or light, the right side is darker with shade....logic and reasoning ladies.

Anonymous

• HAHAHA...I'm the 2nd anon. I meant to post that answer on another question...lol...sorry. I had 2 questions open, this one and another...oops.
    Anonymous

• 700 calories is not enough to sustain you, regardless of your body type. The lowest recommended calorie intake is 900 calories, but generally 1200 is good enough to lose weight. At this point you are starving your body, and although you are eating healthy you are not having enough fat intake and so your body is now pulling from your body (first body fat, then muscles).

You need to eat more. The basic concept behind weight loss is burning more calories than you take in. So if you are burning 2000 calories a day, then anything you eat that is below that will result in weight loss. You can not lose weight only by starving yourself (which is what you are doing even if you don't realize it) and expect it to stay off...as soon as you stop your diet then your body will soak up any nutrients that you eat, resulting in you gaining your weight back.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• 13 pounds in 3 weeks is in NO WAY healthy for your body. Healthy weight loss is one pound a week.

I am currently in nutrition class as well as weights and conditioning. So I have some strait from the book answers if you have questions about healthy weight loss and how to do it. Feel free to message me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• yup, i eat 1000 cals a day, i feel crappy, but look great!!!!
    Anonymous

• i think if you're feeling fine. and haven't gotten to the point of eating 100 cals a day... you're fine. it's you're body and if you're happy with the way things are going.... do what YOU WANT!
    Anonymous

• What you are doing is called anorexia. The body needs at least 1200 to 1500 calories a day just to function in a resting state. To maintain weight the body needs 2000 calories a day. Doctors and nutritionalist will confirm what you are doing will eventually cause your heart, liver, and kidney's to shut down.
    Too few calories cause you to lose muscle - the heart is muscle.
    People that lose weight successfully eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day.
    I saw a friend of mine slowly starve herself by cutting her calories too low (about 800 calories a day) - it took 5 years - but it killed her.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Look into the Eat Clean Diet or the Abs Diet... they are both REALLY healthy ways to lose weight and they both work! Absolutely NO starving involved... in fact you will most likely have a hard time eating as much as they tell you to at first!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I would eat just a littttle bit more, because you should probably stay at 1200.. otherwise there are health risks, and also fast weight loss isn't permanent. Usually when someone loses more than 3 pounds a week they gain it all back. So I suggest eating a bit more. =]
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2009