How do I learn to like/eat more veggies?

I want/need to eat more veggies, but all I like are green beans, spinach salads and broccoli. I know these are all really healthy, but what are other veggies I can try to add variety and more nutrients? Serving suggestions welcomed : ) (2 I really cannot eat are mushrooms and tomatoes...) So anything without those!
Thanks everyone!!!

ValiVal

Asked by ValiVal at 2:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Try using a frozen stir fry mixture as a substitute for your dinner veggies. It gets you a good mixture of veggies, and keeps things mixed up.

For snacks try raw carrots,broccoli, squash and cucumbers with ranch. Or celery with peanut butter.

Those are a couple of things that I do to get some different veggies in there. Also, we have salad with dinner every night, and I mix in some carrots, avocados, broccoli etc. in there as well. I cut them up in advance and keep them in Tupperware so they are ready to sprinkle on my salads, and I cut enough for a week.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Carrots - add them to your salads, make them with meals (add a glaze if you have to), eat them with sandwiches at lunch or as a snack with ranch dip

Cucumbers - also add to salads, eat as a side for lunch or as a snack with dip

corn - try it mixed in casserole type dishes, add cold corn to salads, make homemade cream corn, add it to soups, etc

celery (not very vitamin rich I don't think but still good) - add to soups, salads, eat as a snack with pb, and raisins

potatoes - put in soups, bake em, twice bake em, boil them, salt potatoes (boiled with salt), dice with the skin on add some garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper - bake till a bit crispy, etc.
    Anonymous

• Sweet potatoes are good with butter.
    Butternut squash are good. Partially cook in the microwave to make them easier to work with, then peel and cut in chunks and put butter and a little brown sugar on them and bake until soft.
    Add cauliflower to the brocolli.
    I'm not much of a raw veggie fan, but I will eat them with dips- carrots, celery, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower
    cole slaw
    The root veggies are good mashed and served with butter- turnips, rutabega.
    Greens (Kale, collard, spinach) are good with bacon and vinegar.

Answer by Bmat at 3:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I blend and drink mine. I do not like raw tomatoes but I can throw in a few small ones and get them down too:-) I have a vita mix blender that can handle this stuff. I use kale, water cress, dandelion greens, carrot tops, chard, collards, cilantro, parsley, carrots, romaine lettuce, beet tops, beets, celery, cucumbers and other various greens. Not all at once but at least 3-4 per a drink. I also add in my flax seed or olive oil. Check out greensmoothiegirl.com. This is where I learned even more about "green smoothies". I do usually add an apple or some fruit to it. I really feel better when I get my green smoothie in each day. AND I get a lot more greens than I would by eating them in a salad.....
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I like cucumbers and celery with low fat ranch dressing. The idea of putting shaved carrots in your salad is good, also shaved zucchini. I had a salad at a restaurant once with shaved carrots, zucchini and cornbread croutons. You don't even like cherry tomatoes? I dip those in ranch too.

coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:40 AM on Mar. 19, 2009