How does one deal with the tantrums of a 2 year old?

My daughter is 21 months and has begun the arching of the back and just falling to the ground anywhere, anytime-over anything and SCREAMING. Now what? Thanks-

molly0913

Asked by molly0913 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds crazy but worked for my daughter who used to do the same thing... If you are at home just tell her I see you are upset and you obviously need to get your anger out so go ahead cry, scream do what you need to but please don't hurt yourself or anyone else. Then just let her have her fit. Now if you are in public, do sort of the same thing. Tell her you see that she is angry but the middle of the store is not the place to have a fit. Then ask her if she would like to go to the car/bathroom to finish her fit or if she would like to keep shopping. At first she won't choose either so then you take her to the car or the bathroom which ever you choose. When she is done, ask her if she feels better and then continue shopping. Toddlers are challenging your temperment. If you remain calm when she is not, she isn't likely to continue acting out as much. REMEMBER to always stay calm in your actions, words and tone.
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My daughter does the same thing and she is 19 mos. I jusignore it and walk away then when she's calm and needs comfort she'll come to me. They just get frustrated whent they don't get there way but don't give in. Good Luck!
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the post above. I dont the same thing with my toddler. But, also just away to try and your attention. So, dont pay any mind to her..(when at home) let her have the fits. When she sees you arent caveing or paying any attention to her, she will get tired and bored with the things she is doing. Once she is done, then talk to her and ask her if she feels better. And, try and ask her then what she wanted or if she needs something. Most times she will have forgotten what it was about and go on and play. Now out in public take her by the hand and/or pick her up and take her away from the public eye (bathroom/car) and have the talk with her there. Just remeber not to lose your cool and handle it clamly! Good Luck
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• At home, I just let him throw his fit. I ignore it and usually within just a couple of minutes he's done with the tantrum and back to his normal self. Tantrums are very common at this age as they don't quite have the understanding or the communication skills to tell us what they want or to understand us when we talk to them. I don't like to acknowledge a temper tantrum...it just fuels the fire. I will be at full attention once my son is finished throwing himself on the floor. Lately, he throws his fits when he doesn't get what he wants. No way I am going to coddle him. He throws his fit and then he's over it.
    Anonymous

• At home, let her throw her fit. Just walk away. Or even get ear plugs so you can still hear but it won't be as loud, and you can still keep an eye on her, so she doesn't get hurt. If out, take her away from the situation. To the bathroom, or car, or wherever need be, and she won't like that. She will learn that it's not okay to scream and carry on in the middle of a public place. Worked great for my son. Hope I helped =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009