How should I discipline my almost three year old? NOTHING WORKS

We've tried it all. Spanking, time out, corner, ignoring it, talking it through, yelling, EVERYTHING that we can think of. We are going to be moving soon, and I don't want things out of control in the new place. He's not listening to a word my fiancee or I say, he's touching things he's not supposed to touch(video games, computer, knives from the drawers,) climbing on counters, opening and getting things from the fridge, then not closing it, spilling things on the floor purposely, peeing in his pants, even though he's well potty trained since October last year. I'm not sure what to do anymore and WE NEED HELP!!!

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 2:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we have went through that to! When you do a time out make sure it is in a place where he can see you. And if he gets up not one word to him just keep putting him back. It may take an hour less or more but once he chills out and sits in his time out time (3 mins) talk to him what he did wrong...you need to set one rule of disapline and stick with it! try not to yell
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Your child may be acting out as a response to changes in his life. Have things recently been different? How does your fiance react to him not just when this happens, but at other times? Little kids that age need lots of reassurance and he may feel threatened by the presence of someone else in your life. Maybe he hears talk of the move and it's causing some anxiety? Maybe he thinks his toys may not be coming with him? Poor little guy, if this is new behavior to him, he must be feeling scared. Let him help pack his toys in a "special" box in preparation for the move. Role playing is good, too. Let him pretend one doll or puppet is "him" and the other "you" and start talking about things like touching things he's not supposed to, peeing in pants, etc., and see if this helps him to talk about it a little. Good luck....
    grandmalinda707

Answer by grandmalinda707 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'm just so lost. This is new behavior. But nothing has changed, really. He doesn't know that we are moving. We haven't talked to him about it yet. All he does is cry all day long. Because he is constantly doing something he's not supposed to. The first answer was nice, but that doesn't work. He would be there literally the ENTIRE day. And I can't do that to him. Thanks for your answers and time to read and try to help, but I'm not sure that was exactly what I was looking for... Any more or anything else is definitally welcome =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a 4 year that is like that. I can't turn my back for 2 seconds and she's into something. Not sure if this will help or not but try reading the book "Your Spirited Child" It might help you understand your child better. It might also help you to come up with ways to help your child settle down a bit.
    I understand the frustration you are feeling, trust me, my house is like that every day.

Good Luck with your boy.
    SweetPeasMom2

Answer by SweetPeasMom2 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Oh my god!Your three year old son and my three year old son must be the same kid!My son does all the same and then some.Thank you for asking this question.All pretty good advice,but maybe something definate will come soon.Good Luck!
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Try talking to him, ask him why he is acting up and hurting mommys feeling by being a bad boy. Tell him you love him more than anyting in the world and show him true attention, dont put him infront of the tv so you can have you time. (not saying you are) Talk to him and tell him that your moving, involve him into your lifes and make him feel like his opinions matter (although you set the rules as a mother and rolemodel) ask him if when you get to the new place if hed like to pick our colors for his walls in his new room and that he needs to behave and if he doesnt you wont decorate his room. If the talking doesnt work, youhave to take more aggresive take on it. take the toys away. take the tv and video games away, COMPLETELY. take everything away. At that age he has something hes attached too, find it and use that as leverage, my husband used to love his bike more than anything, so his mom would not let him ride...
    1stmomma07

Answer by 1stmomma07 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• and that was the worst punishment for him. Be consistent and dont keep telling him no. Tell him "im not repeating myself" and then go ahead with the punishement, ppl say "oh they dont understand" i say bullcrap, my 2 year old knows exactly what im talking about, he has his corner he has to stay in when he acts up and when it gets back he gets popped, 3 times on teh bare hiny, then off to timeout for at least 5 min. Then i tell him that i love him but that he needs to listen i only tell him things cause i dont want him to get hurt. I hope something works honestly i do. Let me know if it does.
    1stmomma07

Answer by 1stmomma07 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2009