How do you bond with your babies when you feel like you resent them?

barnishnc

Asked by barnishnc at 2:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you cant. i needed prozac, it took me 10 months to finally be in love with my son
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I take Lexapro.

And honestly, only time helps. I started out nearly hating my daughter (I was also suicidal). After medication and time, I've started to actually kinda like and love the little bundle of joy, lmao.

It helps SO much when they start to do things, like cooing and smiling. I love that my daughter interacts with me now, she's so much fun. It's still extremely tough when she's screaming and won't stop, but I try and think of the good times, and that the infant stage won't last forever.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You need to first find out if it PPD or just normall mommy "why did I get myself in this?" a lot of mom's feel this way. A lot of mom's also don't bond instantly with thier babies, give it some time, but start with your doc.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would see your OB about getting on meds for PPD. It took me almost six months to start feeling like me again.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• With my first I had to give up on breastfeeding.
    With the others, meds for PPD.
    Anonymous

• I had electroshock therapy and meds. He's 11 months and I'm just now really starting to bond with him. See your doctor ASAP before your feelings of resentment escalate. I let mine go too far and I ended up hospitalized. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to motivate you to take some action to take care of yourself. You can only be a good mom if you do that. Good luck.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 11:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2009