14 months old - What foods are no-nos?

Peanut butter, fish, shellfish, honey...what can't we give our babies!?! I have seen so many conflicting answers. The only one I gave my son was honey - just in a sip of tea (no, I don't make a habit of giving my 14 month old caffinated beverages - I was drinking it and he was curoius, so I gave him a sip), but it says on the bottle not to give honey to infants. And, I love fish and shellfish and I feel bad because he sees me eat it, and wants to try it. No one in our family has any food allergies. What do you do?

jferri702

Asked by jferri702 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hot dogs and marshmellows, no shellfish yet. I believe fish is ok, peanut butter, and honey
    Anonymous

• No honey, peanuts and be careful with the high citrus foods cause they can cause terrible diaper rash.
    They can have fish, but just like during pregnancy stay away from the high mercury fish.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Honey is ok at the age of 1
    Anonymous

• My mistake, I thought it was a no-no until 2. Is that just the peanuts?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Just peanuts until two. Everything else is a go in my house.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_foods-that-can-be-unsafe-for-your-toddler_1491465.bc

Read that. I hope it helps.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would add to the citrus fruits....tropical fruit like mango and papaya. Bananas are ok.
    The tropical fruits give a rash also.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Well, for me I give me two year old basically anything. Well anything I myself am eating. If I'm having fish he has it too. If I have honey on something he has it too. Peanut butter HE LOVES IT. I have him try everything. I introduced him to one new thing a week, from the time he was a year old. Some things he likes, some he doesn't. No one in my family has any allergies except me and I am lactose intolerant. But I learned early on that my son on the other hand is not. My son is completely fine and healthy. I think you can give your child what you want to, just don't do too many too close together, because some allergic reactions don't show up right away. =] hope I helped...
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 4:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• WOW i never knew some of these----I DO KNOW---hotdogs and grapes are serious choking hazzards for kids though
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009