Is it teething, or thrush?

Until now I figured my almost three month old daughter was starting to show signs of teething. Yanno, classic signs, like biting/playing with the nipple on her bottle, crying when it's time to eat, increased fussiness, inflamed gums, chewing on her hands, increased drooling, etc. My SIL (a teacher) talked to some people at work and told them the symptoms, because she thinks it's too early to be teething. They said it could be thrush.

I wasn't aware that bottle-fed babies could get thrush (although now that ya think about it, that's kind of a big DUH). I have no experience with thrush, I don't know what it looks like or what the symptoms are.

Did anyone else's kids start teething early?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 2:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter started teething that early (even though she did not cut her first tooth until 8 months)

Thrush will be white covering her tongue and the insides of her cheeks.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You can tell if it is thrush if she has white patches on the inside on her cheeks and on her tongue. If so, try and wipe them off, if they don't come off then it is thrush. It is yeast infection that can occurr from nothing or a reaction to antibiotics.
    If she does not have white patches then she very well could be teething. Average for first teeth is six months, but there are many kids that are well before that. The best determiner is genetics. I would look back at you and the daddy's baby books and see when you got your first teeth.
    GL lady!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Mine also started teething at 3 months, drooling, fussy, running temp, runny nose, sucking fingers and everything she could get her hands on. Unless, you see white on toungue or cheek it's not thrush. Your SIL probably said that because thrush is itchy. You would know if it is thrush.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My oldest son had his first tooth actually break the skin just before he turned 4 mths. So it *could* be teething....and also just because they are teething does not mean the teeth will pop out that quick...some teeth for quite some time before actually seeing any teeth erupt.

Thrush is jsut as a PP described...white patches on the inside cheeks and tongue and sometimes the gums. It will not wipe off. Some babies already have a high yeast count and are just more prone to it. Make sure you are thoroughly cleaning all of her bottles and nipples and sterilizing them...this will help keep the yeast at bay. If you see the patches, just take her in.....they will either give you a script for oral nystatin, or genetian violet. Either one of those will help get rid of it.
    theyareallmine

Answer by theyareallmine at 3:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You'd know if it was thrush - white inside the mouth. Teething symptoms can start months before an actual tooth comes through. I'm babysitting a 3 mo. old during the day and she is definitely teething. Some babies start early....it really isn't that uncommon.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009