Has anybody else had a baby ( mine is 10wks) that HATED to ride in their car seat? What to do??

The ride home from the hospital was fine and a few other times after that but then all of a sudden every time I put my son (now 10wks) in his car seat he screams the whole time and he will NOT stop until I get him out. I haven't been in the car in the past couple of weeks (can't handle that screaming) and don't know what to do. HELP Please!

llc536

Asked by llc536 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has started crying more in her carseat as well. I don't know what to tell you :( She's 12 weeks old. She'll stay quiet as long as we're not moving, then she'll start screaming at stop signs or stop lights. Blah.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• OMG mama that was so my middle DD, she screamed and would not stop when she was in a car. One day i had heard all I could take, I had a tape in the car, it was metallica, I poped that tape it and turned it up AND guess what, she stopped screaming, I had to make a copy of there "one" song and loop it over and over to ride anywhere with her. I dont know what it was, but that was the only song that got her to stop....I was so tired of hearing that song after a few weeks but we gotta do what we gotta do.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Try moderatly loud music, that worked with my kids that hated riding in the car, each kid also liked different music, so start flipping the stations, they do outgrow it, but there really isn't a lot you can do. Hang in there!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Get one of those mirros that attach to the back seat in front of her. There are some with lights and music...this really helped my dd.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my son has the same problem. i have put toys on his car seat. you can get car seat mobiles for him. it distracted my son and made him like the car seat
    FirstTimer1016

Answer by FirstTimer1016 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My first daughter got that way, but only when she was a little older than yours. As a tiny infant she was colicky and it actually helped her. From about 4 months to one year she hated it, but started liking it once she was forward facing. My second daughter sounds just like yours, though. She's hated it from the beginning. She's been doing better for the past few weeks though and she's about 6 months now. I'm not sure there's much you can do except try to keep them somewhat entertained!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son hated his for a full year. We tried everything and nothing helped. I started taking him in the car only when completely necessary and trying to plan appointments around his nap time so that he would be sleeping when I put him in the car seat. It was horrible. The day we put him a new convertible car seat, he stopped crying. It was still a rear facing one, so I don't know what the difference was.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Make sure he hasn't grow too big for the strap settings. Also make sure there is nothing twisted or poking him. There could be a button or something on his coat... or a sticker in the car seat fabric...
    And do not let him *win*!! They eventually realize all is ok, but if you kowtow to his screaming- you could be stuck at home for a long time...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2009