Would you be angry if your child ever called your first name, even as an adult?

I would go spare! I think its so unbeleiveably disrespectful. But some mums dont.

Do you think its disrespectful.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Not angry but hurt.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's very disrespectful and I would be incredibly hurt.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'd be like "Er...why'd you call me that?"

I mean, I dunno, but it wouldn't freak me out too bad. Maybe I'm one of the weird ones. I for one would never call my parents by their first names. It's just weird to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Um, in what context? My 4YO and I were playing the other day and she wanted to be the mom and she wanted her name to be my name, but she wanted my name to be my name too, so while we played "house" she called my by my first name and it was freaking hilarious the entire time. Soon after I went right back to being "mommy".
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i dont get mad when my almost 6 yr old does. it is my name so yah. the way i feel when she gets mad ild rather her call me that then a few other choice things that could come out later. but yes sometimes it hurts, and trust me she doesnt get away with it either. lol she is sent to her room with all her toys and things taken away and put in the storage room.
    Anonymous

• In a general context as in "hey, >your first name here< can i have something to eat?"
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It is disrespectful. I have a cousin who calls her mom by first name and I always get confused and say "you mean, your mom". It makes her mom feel young, I guess. It's too weird for me.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't get the disrespect thing at all, I think I would laugh and say, "excuse me?" Reminds me of the Brady Bunch when Greg called his parents Mike and Carol, lol! I don't have any idea why doing that is disrespectful and "incredibly" hurtful, but that's just me. If they aren't doing it in anger they are probably just testing waters, kids have a tendency to do that =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I spoke to my mum about it last night. I told her that if my kid ever called me by my first name is would get very angry. I think its disrespectful because kids tend to take a lot without giving much back. And our parents gave us the ultimate gift of life and the least we can do is show them repect by calling them Mum and dad.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It depends. I have taught my children, as my parents did me, that if we're in a very crowded area, and they, for example, get separated from me, to call my first name. Because there may be so many parents around, too many women would respond to "mom", and if I think they are right there with me, I may not. So, under those circumstances, no, I wouldn't be bothered at all. Now, if my son just walked up to me and started using my first name instead of some version of "mom", I wouldn't like it and I would tell him he needs to stop, but I still wouldn't really get mad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009