I have twins now serving in Afghanistan, 1 just started his basic training, & another trying to sign up... how do you cope?

proudofmy6boys

Asked by proudofmy6boys at 3:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• If one just started basic trianing and one hasn't even signed up yet then how are they serving overseas? Basic is in america.
    Anonymous

• one, make sure they know how proud you are of them every day. my dh and i are military and i wish his parents told him or showed at least the ounce of pride my father showed me when i signed up. one thing my family does is they have web cams and msgrs that we talk on. they keep busy with things that need done and they send boxxes, a lot of boxxes....i gave them some names of soldiers to write and everything to help them cope and help a soldier that isnt fortunate to have my dad lol. but make sure they know you support them, their choices, and what they are doin no matter what. be their shoulder to lean on even if its only online or the telephone. write a diary to help you vent about thing and get involved. there are a lot of groups you can get into with the units that have other parents going threw what you are. there is a great group on here to called military moms. they are always great and full of advise. good luck
    Anonymous

• ops i sent my annon. lol but another thing dont listen to anyone and i do mean anyone that says you shouldnt be feeling lik you are. its normal. we are stationed over seas at the moment but still in the usa. we are in alaska. well ild lik to call it something else but ill keep it pg lol. if you need ot talk holler. i cant really give you the moms eye view on it all but i can be a shoulder for you. just holler if you need to talk
    98thmaint

Answer by 98thmaint at 3:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Sorry, I was misunderstood... I have twins who are now in Afghanistan PLUS the other 2, 1 in basic training & 1 trying to sign up. I do send them letters, emails (tho they aren't able to get them as of yet), & care packages & tell them that we are proud of them, stay safe & we love them. It's hard tho...
    proudofmy6boys

Answer by proudofmy6boys at 3:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• im sorry i know how you feel my brothers are all leaving as well are uncles and everything i just let them know i love them and im proud of them and i never tell them that i want to drop kick them for causing me to worry like this lol im kidding one of my brothers told me just recently that after his sugery the marines are going to take him still and he is joining for his 21st bday .. i also cope by sending them cookies and crap lol my brothers and uncles love my cookies :~)
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• One of my sons is in the army in Iraq. He took a laptop and we send emails back and forth all the time. This is not the military of our fathers where you had to wait weeks to get a reply to anything you sent.

He is doing quite well where he is, but keeps telling me he is BORED. If your boys pick their jobs correctly they will not see much "action" off the base, and they too can be bored. My son has started online college classes and will come home from Iraq with an extra 16 hours to put towards his degree and the military is paying for it. Plus he is stashing away his pay to put a downpayment on his first house when he gets here.

All that being said, basic training is very different. No laptops there. But it will help them grow up to be more independant.

Good luck!
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Wow, awesome! Thank you for being the Mom of some terrific sons! We appreciate their service to our country. Have you checked out "Blue Star Moms?" htthttp://www.bluestarmothers.org/mc/page.do

"The Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc. is a non-partisan, non-political organization. We are mothers who now have, or have had, children honorably serving in the military. We are a non-profit (501[c]3) service organization supporting each other and our children while promoting patriotism."

I think you'll find some women there with some similar issues and good advice!
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• How do you cope? be supportive. Why are you making this about you? It's their decision. What wonderful people they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Excuse me Anonymous, I thought this was a support group. First of all, I AM VERY PROUD of them & I DO SUPPORT them. But I am also worried sick about their welfare.
    proudofmy6boys

Answer by proudofmy6boys at 6:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You can on some post do IM. If he has a problem getting on he can ask one of the IT folks on the base and they will help him out. Some times they can't communicate because of black outs but they can ususally get things up and running in a day or so. Once he gets there get him to give you the names and numbers of some of his buddies family members. Join the military Moms support groups they are GREAT!!! He will be able to contact you and you can send as much email as you want. And send him lots of care packages it helps both of you. Remember we are all here as well.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009