I am so close to giving him away!!

I know that sounds mean but are little puppy is peeing and pooping all over the place and I have a two year old. As much as I clean it up Im sure that there is still bachteria all over our carpet. I feed and water him outside and let him stay out there for a while but then he comes right in and pisses all over my carpet!! I dont have a crate so I cant train him that way. When he goes potty on the carpet I take him over there to the spot and put his face down by it and yell at him NO BAD DOG!! I have even swatted his butt a couple of times. Do I need to get rid of him or is it not going to take as long as I think to house break him. Hes a really cute and sweet puppy but this going potty on my carpet is killing me. I woke up in the middle of the night last night because I smelt crap and he did it in three different spots!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• If you cant watch him it might be best to put him outside, HB a is alot of work and when you add small kids in the mix it does make it more difficult but still doable. You have to watch him if you want him to remain inside and housebroken, thats the only way he will learn to use the bathroom outside. Most dogs give clues that they have to go, they sniff, roam in circles, walk around very slow, keep an eye out for these. I did not crate train mine, so I cant help you there. I kept mine very close to me at all times and watched for signs and when she needed to go, I took her out and rewarded her with a treat when she went. First thing in the morning take him out, a few hours later take him out, after eating they will want to use the bathroom about 30 min to an hour later and watch for signs and reward with treats. Take him out the same door, soon he will go to that door on his own. I do hope things work out for you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You have to get a crate. don't get rid of it til you try a crate. what kind of dog is it?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• As I can see you have found out, there is a lot more to a puppy than just being cute. They are a lot of work. JMO, yelling at him is not a form of house training. I think crate training is the most effective. Invest in a crate, just big enough for him to turn around in and put him in it when you can't watch his every move. If he starts to go when you are watching him, clap to interrupt and immediately take him outside. And make sure you are rewarding when he does go outside. If you think you can't stick with it, then get rid of him. I am sure someone, in a good home, will take him. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Don'T let him have run of the house if he is not house broken, he needs to be watched just like you would a baby, watch for signs of him having to go then take him outside. He doesn't understand the NO thing either, just like a baby he is young and will learn if you teach him. When we HB our dog, she never left my sight and if I saw her sniffing and roaming in circles, oh it was time to go out on a leash. Once he is out side give him time to find that spot without a lot of interference from you, they get distracted easy too.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ok but I dont understand.What is the crate going to do for him that the backyard wont? Im here 24/7 so I can be here to let him out which I do.
    Anonymous

• Oh and hes a sheppard mix. Beautifull puppy.
    Anonymous

• Ok this is to midnightmomma.... I have a two year old and cant follow the puppy around all day to see if hes gonna go potty on my floor so do I just make him an outside dog and let my other dog thats already house broken be inside? I dont think thats fare but every ones right, I didnt relize that I needed to buy a crate and keep him locked in there all day or what ever Im supposed to do with it. I could use all the help I can get with this bc I truthfully am very hesitant to give him away because I dont want him to end up in a shelter or be put to sleep cause no one else wants him.
    Anonymous