My five yr. old daughter got lice in school!! How do you keep it from coming back??

Its the first time shes ever gotten lice. Shes complained about her head itching and i looked thru her hair and sure enough i found nits. We got some lice RID and it seems to work i just don't want them to come back again or our 1 yr. old to get them either. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You really have to clean everthing in your house, pillows, blankets, carpets, brushes. Anything where the bugs could have gotten into.

Keeping hair up in a ponytail can help a bit, also teach your dd NOT to share hats, brushes, clippies, with anyone!!

Its hard b/c sometimes you can do all that you know to do and they still get em. I dread my two going to public school b/c of this. It can be a real pain.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Also get some tree oil??? Its something they say you can get to keep them away.. Vinager in her bath will help also..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Gel and Hairspray (for whenever its gone, this is to keep it from coming back)
    Lice can't stick to it to get on their head

I remember my mom gelling me and my brothers hairs everyday for school after the first time I came home with lice... We never got it again though
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 3:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Heat kills! Remember that! Hair dryer every day for at least a month (gives other moms a chance to kill things on their end). Notify the school!

Wash EVERYTHING in HOT WATER! Coats, bedding, pillows, clothes, ball caps, hair accessories (ball caps and hair accessories can be put in lingerie wash bags). Toss it all in the dryer too! If you have a steamer, use it on the mattress. If not, get a mattress bag. Toss her back pack in the dryer INSIDE a pillow case!

Keep her hair in a ponytail on school days. It's not a fix-all but it can help with transfer. If her classroom has hooks for the kids to hang their belongings, send a zippered garment bag or something similar for her to put her stuff in to protect it.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009