• In the Spotlight:

I rescued a robin/bird today. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Help.

It's a big robin. It acts like it has a hurt leg, but I can't find anything wrong with it's leg. I found it in front of a store, and brought it home, put it in a container with food, water and a small blanket. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone had experience with birds??????

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 3:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Call your local nature center. They can take him in and help. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have cared for injured birds many times before...if he's acting like he has an injured leg he could have landed on it wrong. Usually i just put them in a sheltered box or an old bird cage and do exactly what you did. within a couple days they are stronger and usually fly away. If you think its worse than that, maybe see if you have a local rescue center or sanctuary that can take him.good luck and thank you for saving the little guy!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Like the first reply says, call your local nature center or wildlife rehab!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I found an injured bird once.... and I have an outside cat.... circle of life. LOL.
    Anonymous

• Robins don't eat bird seed, they eat worms. So you would be better off letting the bird go and let nature take it's course. Caging this bird may cause it to become too stressed out and may die because of it. Let the poor thing go.

Anonymous

• If It were me I would call my animal rescue lady. We rescued a pigeon and called her. Fortunately, but unfortunately, we were doing all the right things so she advised us to keep the bird until his flight feathers grew back.
    I rescued a duckling with a bum leg. I called her and it was 3 days until she called back. She took Quackers right away and splinted the leg. She also had female ducks who would take care of young ones that were not their own.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hi there! Im a veterinary technician with some experiance with birds... Call your local vet office, most of them will treat wildlife free of charge. You can bring it in as a good samaritian, and they will treat it, or if the injuries are too serious, they will humanly euthanize it. In the meantime, keep it warm, with a heating pad on low on one side of the box, leaving the other side cool so the bird can move out of the heat if it becomes too hot. Offer fresh water, and if you can get to a pet store, meal worms, or worms from the yard. Very young Robins will eat canned dog food (not the chunky or shredded kind). Hope this helps some!
    Katrina
    Katrina77

Answer by Katrina77 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009