in pain...help plz

i just stopped breast feeding after a month (due to medical reasons so plz dont bash)...i pumped once at 1030am yesterday and havent done anything after that. im leaking like crazy and in so much pain. how long does it take for your milk to dry up? is there anything i can do to hurry it up or ease the pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone dries up at a different pace. It took me about a week. I would wear a tight sport bras with pads for leaks. Take some advil and ice your breasts. Also avoid any nipple stimulation at all. Hang it there, it will pass!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You can take sudafed - it'll help a little. It should take a few days before your milk production slows down but it could take awhile before it dries up completely. You could try pumping occasionally (when it gets really bad) for a couple of days just to relieve the pressure and just slowly phasing out the pumping. It'll take longer but it won't hurt as much. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Honey, I am not going to bash. I wanted to breast feed but only managed pumping for my first, and had to quit with my second on drs orders. It's okay. First, the doctors will most likely tell you cold compresses. Sure, that will stop the leaking but it also won't stop the pain from the build up of milk. So, HOT SHOWER! HEATING PAD! Oh, and a VERY good sports bra!

Other than the hot shower to release the pressure, try not to mess with your breasts too much. Make sure you have the bra pads to catch the leaks and pain reliever. Ibuprofen (if your doctor says it's okay) will help with the swelling some.

The biggest thing is this will take time. You are going to be uncomfortable for a bit so just sit back with your heating pad and think about that hot shower you will be taking soon.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Sounds a lot like myself. I completely dried up in less than a week. All I did was pump at the regular time, but pump less. Then as each day came, I would eliminate a pumping completely. I started with the night time ones because those seemed to let me sleep longer lol. Hope this helps!! Good Luck!! Gypsy98 had good things too. The heat and showers helped with the pain. The pads worked great. Sometimes my leaking got so bad I had to double up on pads!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 3:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I didn't breastfeed at all, so I don't know how relevant this will be, but my doctor told me to try not to have milk come out basically. Like in the shower, I was supposed to take a warm not hot shower and avoid the hotter water on them or they would leak and that would stimulate more production. I also wore a sports bra that was very much too small and only took it off for a shower. After a week or so, I could pretty much go with a regular bra. I know that my situation is different, but that might work for you.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 4:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i was in the hospital for a week and only pumped about every 6 hours then about the same when i finally got home. i tried nursing her a few times but it just wasnt working. i was thinking about pumping now but ive already gone a day and a half so i might as well just stick it out now right?
    Anonymous

• If you Doctor will allow it try pumping at your usual times dropping one a day every other day. a morning one followed by an evening one. That is what I j had to do. It eased the process and I dried up in about a week and a half.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• pump, but just a little to help with the pressure. It might help to do it by hand so you don't get too much out.
    Anonymous

• what I did with my dd was take out every other feed then every 3 (one each week). So you may need to pump once a day to help with the pain and low the dry out rather than do it so quickly.
    Anonymous

• I would a void pumping and just hand express in a warm shower. Do this until your breasts are no longer tight or engorged feeling. Pumping will just stimulate you to make more.
    I have also read that cabbage leaves can help.
    Anonymous